Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-17-2005, 11:46 AM

Default Ed Miller and Lee Jones play a hand

Here is my understanding of how Ed Miller and Lee Jones would play a sample hand. You are in middle position with K-J of clubs. Two players limp in what should you do? 1) Ed Miller. Raise. K-J suited is a strong hand in this position. Raise for value. 2) Lee Jones. Call. You have a suited trouble hand. The flop comes down 10 of hearts 9 of clubs 5 of diamonds. Three people check and one bets. What should you do? 1) Ed Miller: Raise. If you knock out some players it will improve your winning chances. If you knock out a player or two, you increase your chances that you will win if you catch a King or a Jack. 2) Lee Jones: Fold or call. Most of time you will fold since you missed the flop. However, if you are getting the proper odds for the gutshot draw you can call. The turn comes 3 of diamonds. What should you do? 1) Ed Miller: Bet. 2) Lee Jones: Actually, I think Lee Jones would bet his gutshot here as well if he were still in the hand. The river is a Jack of diamonds. 1) Ed Miller: Bet. You have top pair with a high kicker, bet your hand. 2) Lee Jones: You know I think Jones might bet here as well. Conclusion: 1) The preflop play of both authors is about the same. Both say to play very tight before the flop and not to call raises when you are dominated. If you have K-J and someone raises you will usually fold. However, Miller says to raise with the big suited cards. He will raise with K-J, A-10, A-J suited etc. Jones will call with these hands. 2) The flop play is different. Miller says raise and Jones says fold for the most part. 3) The River: Miller says to call on the river if the pot is big, you just cannot be sure you are beaten to fold. Jones, actually says the same thing. I do not have his book with me right now but he says to call on the river in a large pot. In fact, Jones quotes his mentor who says, "Throw those chips in the middle on the river." Both authors are similar, but Miller is more aggressive on the flop.