Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Sports Betting
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-15-2005, 02:02 PM

Default Converting point spreads to odds

When I check the sports books for NCAA basketball picks, either I find the lines for round one of the tournament or I find the odds on a given team winning the whole thing. With respect to the former, if a higher seeded team is favored by say 5 points, how does one make sense of that in terms of odds? In other words, what are the odds that the higher seeded team will win if they are favored by 5 points? With the spread the odds "should be" 1:1 right? So how does that calculation change when one is simply betting on a team winning or not regardless of the spread. Essentially what I'm after is how one compares the EV of picking a higher seeded team and the points yielded from that round based on the seed versus picking a lower seeded team which may not be favored to win but might have a higher EV due to a seed muliplier bonus. Any insights into this inquiry would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Old 03-15-2005, 05:06 PM

Default Re: Converting point spreads to odds

[ QUOTE ]
Essentially what I'm after is how one compares the EV of picking a higher seeded team and the points yielded from that round based on the seed versus picking a lower seeded team which may not be favored to win but might have a higher EV due to a seed muliplier bonus. Any insights into this inquiry would be greatly appreciated.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't look at the spreads for this. Look at the money lines. Take the point halfway between the ML on the favorite and the dog, then convert that to a percentage. That percentage reflects the current market opinion of the likelihood of each team to win the game.
Old 03-16-2005, 01:22 PM

Can you offer an example? Thanks.
Old 03-16-2005, 07:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Can you offer an example?

[/ QUOTE ]

Look at Alabama vs. UWM. The money line at Olympic is Alabama -220 and UWM +180. That means the "true" money line is probably somewhere between the two numbers. Let's just use the halfway point as an example, so assume the true ML is -200/+200. That means UWM is a 2 to 1 dog, or in other words, they should win about 33% of the time.
Old 03-17-2005, 10:52 AM

Thanks tech. That helped a lot actually.