Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-16-2005, 05:13 AM

Default Good books on Hold\'em math (odds) ?

I am looking for a book focused on how to use odds in Hold’em when making betting decisions. One holding all card odds, for own hand and against any of my opponents. Not a general strategy book, but just containing odds, probability and math behind the game. Any recommendations?
Old 03-16-2005, 05:25 AM

Default Re: Good books on Hold\'em math (odds) ?

The best two books with such content (and the only ones, as I know thus far) are:
Mike Petriv’s “Hold’em Odds Book”
Catalin Barboianu’s “Texas Hold’em Odds”.
While the first is just perfect for a recreational player, the second is holding much more math and also has a higher coverage on odds and probability. In fact, it covers all card odds from all possible situations and it’s very well organized. You may get it from www.probability.go.ro/page8.html .
For the first, here is a link: www.gamblersbook.com.
Old 03-16-2005, 12:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The best two books with such content (and the only ones, as I know thus far) are:
Mike Petriv’s “Hold’em Odds Book”
Catalin Barboianu’s “Texas Hold’em Odds”.
While the first is just perfect for a recreational player, the second is holding much more math and also has a higher coverage on odds and probability. In fact, it covers all card odds from all possible situations and it’s very well organized. You may get it from www.probability.go.ro/page8.html .
For the first, here is a link: www.gamblersbook.com.

[/ QUOTE ]

and how legit is Catalin's E-Book? do you have it? i posed this question about a similar Holdem Odds E-Book on www.unitedpokerforum.com last year and it got some bad responses. it may have been the same E-Book. i'm also in the market for a good book dealing with Holdem Math Odds, a book that could help guide me through every street when i'm playing.
last year
Old 03-17-2005, 04:02 AM

I have the book and I find it very useful. Maybe the bad responses you mentioned come from people scared about the math. It also has favorable reviews on Amazon.
Old 03-18-2005, 04:16 AM

That Catalin's E-Book looks good to me, anybody else got a reveiw?
Old 03-18-2005, 08:46 AM

Take a look at gamble4pro's homepage on his profile and ask yourself whether this is an independent recommendation.

I see this spam on a number of forums when questions such as this are asked. I've never seen anyone review the book other than someone with a link to the site in their profile - interpret from that however you wish!!!

Petriv's book is good - Mason has reviewed it and was generally complementary about it. It starts at a very basic level too so should cover everything you need.

The Mathematics of Games and Gambling by Edward Packel is another good book. Its not specific to poker and doesn't start at the very basic level that Petriv's book does but its not too advanced for those who consider themselves non-mathematically minded!

Taking Chances - Winning With Probability by John Haigh is a similar type of book to Packel. Its a reasonable read but I'd choose Packel over it. Again it covers other forms of gambling such as lotteries, etc.

Sheriff
Old 03-18-2005, 01:16 PM

The book is horrible, except for the most mathematically inclined.
Old 03-18-2005, 08:41 PM

There's four different books mentioned in the thread, which one are you referring to?
Old 03-18-2005, 09:11 PM

Hi pro:

You appear to be associated in some way wih the book you are recommending. You should point this out when you make such recommendations.

Best wishes,
Mason
Old 03-18-2005, 09:35 PM

I suspect that "g4p2005" is another account gambling4pro (g4p == gambling4pro?) created so that he could ask the question and then answer it to drum up traffic/sales.