Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-16-2005, 03:07 PM

Default Re: Why are some people introverts?

Because people SUCK!
Old 03-16-2005, 03:56 PM

Introversion/extraversion is one of the most stable and enduring personality traits. It is first seen as an innate, biologically driven characteristic known as "temperament" in young children. Though it is situationally malleable, most people remain on a similar level of I/E throughout their lives.

Typically extraverts are energized by social interaction, etc., while introverts can be drained by the same stimuli. Introverts tend to have a naturally higher level of "activity" in their brains, and thus too much simuluation from the environment can be overwhelming. Of course the characteristics of introversion and extraversion exist on a continuum and are not dichotomous categories. For a more historical psychological context, Carl Jung wrote extensively on these traits.
Old 03-16-2005, 03:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Why are some people introverts?

[/ QUOTE ]

Why are some people excitable and others easy-going? Why do some people thrive on confrontation and others seek to avoid it? Why do some people get angry easier than others? Why do some people like poker and others think it's a big waste of time?

Everyone's different. It's just part of being human - I don't think every personality trait has a logical reason behind it. Sometimes we are the way we are, just because.

Having a more intoverted personality is not a character flaw.

[/ QUOTE ]

of course it isn't a character flaw...
doesn't mean that there is no reason for personality traits though [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 03-16-2005, 05:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Introverts tend to have a naturally higher level of "activity" in their brains, and thus too much simuluation from the environment can be overwhelming.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is exactly what I am like. Too much activity around me is very painful unless my brain can latch onto specific things for me to focus on. It mentally pains me to be in these type of situations. It can be something as simple as the TV on in the background, if the channel the TV is on is something part of my brain can latch on to then im fine, but if it something I care nothing about in any way (say Oprah) it is mentally painful stimuli for me and tires me out. I also find that my brain "runs" constantly, it isnt like it is working on the theory of relativity, it will just run on the issue du jour and it makes it very tough to go to sleep.
Old 03-16-2005, 05:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Introverts tend to have a naturally higher level of "activity" in their brains, and thus too much simuluation from the environment can be overwhelming.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is exactly what I am like. Too much activity around me is very painful unless my brain can latch onto specific things for me to focus on. It mentally pains me to be in these type of situations. It can be something as simple as the TV on in the background, if the channel the TV is on is something part of my brain can latch on to then im fine, but if it something I care nothing about in any way (say Oprah) it is mentally painful stimuli for me and tires me out. I also find that my brain "runs" constantly, it isnt like it is working on the theory of relativity, it will just run on the issue du jour and it makes it very tough to go to sleep.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am like this too. TV or music that I dont like almost gives me a nervous reaction. I have to leave the room sometimes.

I tend to be more introverted, although it depends on the situation. People think Its strange that I have no problems going away on trips, etc by myself. This is not to say I avoid human interaction or are some weirdo w/ no friends.

My best friends who are male (as am I) tend to be extroverted. However, my girlfriends are usually introverted.

The sleeping thing you mentioned is also a problem for me. I was an insomniac for years, because Id just lay in bed and my mind would just keep running, thinking about everything imaginable be it mundane or the meaning of life. I tried putting music on softly, but then Id listen to intently. Finally, I put a TV in the room and find something like the weather channel, or Sportscenter. Something I could listen to with enough interest that I caught my attention but I didnt feel particularly compelled to watch. This helped a lot.

Okay, I have no idea why I just wrote a novel here...
Old 03-16-2005, 07:36 PM

It's like my Grandma (and probably everyone else's) says: "It's better to remain silent and be thought an idiot than to open your mouth and remove all doubt".

I don’t think it helps any of us to know why we are they way we are. Rarely does the flimsy human “reason” we attach to things help us, let alone actually describe things accurately. We just have to pick up and go on with our lives.

To that point, I don’t see anything wrong with going along with your introverted tendencies. Most attempts to change things that are this deeply ingrained fail spectacularly. I’ve struggled with being introverted my whole life, and have finally come up with a vague justification of remaining that way. The people that make snap judgments about you and don’t take the time to get to know you, instead of the superficial versions of you that they perceive to be either “quiet” or “snobbish”, are not the people you want as friends anyway. The girls/women that aren’t impressed if you’re not talking about them or your glorious possessions aren’t the ones you want. The jobs you could get if you only went out and talked a good game about yourself is a job that would make you insane. Just because in high school it looked like being the outspoken football guy was where the fun was doesn’t mean it would make you happy to be in that role (which brings up another quote from everyone’s grandma “Careful what you wish for…”).

I guess my point is that you should make some effort to break out of your shell, but not so much that you’re acting like a completely different person. It gets exhausting trying to put on a show 24/7. We all play the roles we’re assigned, but you must both attempt to be more like them while cultivating what is good about you (Especially in a game as open-ended and complex as poker).
Old 03-16-2005, 07:48 PM

I'm an introvert because I hate people. Let me explain.

I get pissed when I see somebody yell at a cashier for making a mistake. Geez, (s)he only makes seven or eight dollars an hour, give him/her a freaking break.

I can't stand it when people are rude in general. I can't stand it when I see some twenty year-old guy not give up his seat on the bus for a seventy year-old lady. I can't stand it when a group of two or three people are loud as hell in a library, when it's obvious everyone else is trying to study. I'm sure everyone else could add to this list.
Old 03-16-2005, 07:53 PM

Good post, I see where you're coming from. I would define myself as an introvert, and I've found that I need to have my mind on something. I can't just watch TV, I need to be doing something else, even if it's something small like shuffling a deck of cards or doing chip tricks.
Old 03-16-2005, 08:01 PM

this thread is amazing. My fellow introverts don't tell me this stuff in real life. Maybe because I don't talk about it with anyone either.

I've tried to be more outgoing, but it just takes too much energy away. Asking questions about people who you don't care about is really draining for me.

I don't know why I am this way. Maybe because I am an only child. Maybe because I moved to U.S at 10, thus having to "start over". Or maybe...who knows...

I do find introverts to be good at poker. I am having fun while Im just waiting for my good cards to come, and life to pass me by.

PG
Old 03-16-2005, 08:11 PM

I can only answer for myself. I do not get called introverted. People call me aloof.