Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-15-2005, 10:14 PM

Default Bottom set but ...

Party Poker Pot-Limit Hold'em, 2$ BB (10 handed) converter

UTG+2 ($91)
MP1 ($457.66)
MP2 ($164.7)
MP3 ($45)
CO ($407.9)
Button ($238.6)
Hero ($471.75)
BB ($240.58)
UTG ($171)
UTG+1 ($271.27)

Preflop: Hero is SB with 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. Hero posts a blind of $1.
UTG calls $2, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 raises to $5</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, Hero (poster) calls $4, BB calls $3, UTG calls $3.

Flop: ($20) 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
Hero checks, BB checks, UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets $19</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $60</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises to $125</font>, UTG folds, MP2 folds.

The pre-flop raiser was a loose aggressive player, the one who reraised my check-raise was a tight player who looked to know what he was doing on a poker table.

So I ????
Old 03-15-2005, 11:35 PM

Default Re: Bottom set but ...

To me this is a call.

First of all, you hit your hand! If you're not going to get all-in when you make a set, why call the 5x BB raise preflop?

Second of all, set over set is RARE. VERY rare. While the chance is there that he has a set, he could also have AA-77 and be playing the hand like this (likely a hand like TT?).

That is why I just call. He will then likely set you all in on the turn. If he doesn't, for some reason, you will obviously go all in.

Hope it worked out. Calling has to be +EV in the long run.

Ryan
Old 03-15-2005, 11:47 PM

That's really tough. I probably would have just called MP2, instead of raising because it looks clear that he has a good PP, say TT+ (maybe 99), and there really are no draws on the board, unless someone is in with A4s or A5s.

The raise from BB, though, is scary. I'd say it's more often a set than a tricky played JJ-AA. Given that if you call you're likely to get all in, you're not getting that great odds on your money, but it's tough to get away from.
Old 03-16-2005, 06:10 PM

For the first time in my life I folded a set on the flop. I just tought he could not have just an overpair there, so It was either 33, 66, 54 or 63 (62 and 42 are also two pairs possibility but having two deuces there were not very likely), and a tight player would usually not call a raise with 63.

After the hand He told me that he had the nut but I will never be sure of it.

So Im I crazy ?

On a side note, would it have been better to lead at this multiway flop or check-raise as I did ?
Old 03-16-2005, 06:13 PM

This looks like a pretty good fold. It's only $3 to BB, so even 45o is not unrealistic (and not a bad call for him to make).

He could easily have an overset, but more importantly, he cannot have an overpair here (not if he's tight), and there's no likely pair + draw suspects.

Good fold sir.