Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-16-2005, 04:46 PM

Default Bluffing with AA?

NL ring, $200 buy-in, 1/2 blinds.
Opponent is very loose with pf calls and raises, but smarter post flop. In fact, most of table is playing very laggy preflop. He probably sees me as tighter/straightforward, as I have taken some pots from him showing down best hand.

Hero is SB ($278)
Opponent is BB ($271)
UTG (average player, $128)

Preflop: UTG calls $2, folded to Hero (red Aces) who raises to $10, BB calls $8, UTG folds.

Flop ($22): 3d Tc Qc, Hero bets $20, Opponent calls.

Turn ($62): 4d, Hero checks, Oppenent bets $40, Hero calls.

River ($142): 9c, Hero bets $75, Opponent waits maximum then folds.

Comments: I thought there was a reasonable possibility that I had been out-flopped when smart post-flop lag called my flop bet, and bet fairly big on turn, given that I had defined my hand pretty well. I knew he was the type to take a big raise preflop against obvious overpair or AK to try to hit set/outplay opponents with aggression. However, given his bet on the turn, I didn't think he had flsh draw and decided that I could bet a scare card (rep'ing AKclubs) or check call reasonable bet on river.

Was I bluffing on the river or did I have him the whole way? Thanks in advance.
Old 03-16-2005, 04:56 PM

Default Re: Bluffing with AA?

i like your line, but i'd check the river and call a bet up to ~120.

(yeah, roots)
Old 03-16-2005, 05:06 PM

I don't think you were bluffing. Your flop bet is a standard continuation bet that could be made regardless of the flop cards. It doesn't define your hand. Checking the turn after villain calls the flop bet defines your hand more as AK than as AA or AQ. His turn bet is either a steal attempt with missed overcards or middle pocket pair (most likely), or a value bet with a set. When you call, it means you have QQ-AA or AcKc.

On the river, would you lay down a set in his position? I'd probably make a crying call given that the bet is only half the pot. My guess is he had 77-99, misread you for AK, and then revised his read on the river.
Old 03-16-2005, 05:30 PM

Thanks for the reply parttimepro.
No, I would likely not fold a set in his position, though the 1/2 pot bet would smell like a value bet that AKc could be making, or even QQQ or TTT that chose to slowplay on flush draw board vs. one opponent. I do believe that my actions would fit this last scenario as well, especially if we're to assume that my pf raise will be with AA-TT, AKs, given the preflop action and laggy pf nature of the game. It would be a blocking bet of sorts with a set, letting Opponent know that I am unlikely to be pushed off pot. And I would expect him to raise only with the flush.
Believe it or not it wouldn't totally shock me if he had QTs for 2-pair, again only because he's a little wild preflop.