Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-16-2005, 05:59 AM

Default Re: Is there ever a right time - or is this just stupid?

Raising is fine and allin is the correct raise if you plan to do so. Also playable is calling. 3rd best play is folding.
Old 03-16-2005, 09:07 AM

I don't think yoou understand.

Let me get this right? You had 42,000 in BB, he had 75,000 in SB. He raised 7k, that makes puts 11,500 in the pot, and you go all in.

You had over 10 BB, and the big stack is on your right. Why risk it with K9o, is what I am saying.

[ QUOTE ]
At best I am looking at K2o and he folds and I take the chips and move on with the tournament in a better spot then I was previously at.

[/ QUOTE ]

This proves what I said, he isn't going to call you without having a better hand!

I know you are trying to make him fold:- If he does fold a worse hand you gain nothing, and if he calls he has you beat, and you went all in!

Sorry matt, I don't like your play, and don't understand your logic.

Why don't you just take the Top 50% hands and go all-in in these situations when playing SB/BB battle, for that is all I understand you are doing.

Maybe I am very wrong?, but you busted out when you didn't have to, and that is a major leak in my game.

Good luck.

ZCAHV82
Old 03-16-2005, 09:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Also playable is calling.

[/ QUOTE ]

10. Be2 is also playable as well.
Old 03-16-2005, 10:45 AM

[qoute]This proves what I said, he isn't going to call you without having a better hand!

[/ QUOTE ]

Umm... yes, we have established you think that. I'm saying that is ok since there are a lot more worse hands than better hands.
Old 03-16-2005, 10:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
10. Be2 is also playable as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

Chess?

JV- any thoughts on this hand? Any thoughts about strategy in this type of situation that you wish to share?
Old 03-16-2005, 11:47 AM

OK, I don't really like a call best here with the intention of just playing the hand. At first, I was thinking a stop and go works perfectly. 1) you don't want to go calling off 1/6 of your stack if you're just gonna muck to a postflop bet when you're left with k high. 2) the reason for not just shoving it in there preflop is a psych move on the sb IMO. If someone flat calls a sig bet preflop with position on me, bells are going off. If I don't have a big hand, I will proceed with extreme caution.
However, this doesn't really solve your blind battle problem. I think I would prefer shoving it in there preflop. He's getting less than 2:1 and he's not gonna call more than half his stack off with a really marginal hand, IMO, but he'll muck a few hands that are ahead of you (baby ace, kt, maybe 22-33). If he calls and has you dominated, that's rough. In most cases that you're behind and he calls, you still have a good price on the pot preflop to shove it in there (11k, you shove four times- his call that's ahead of you 60-40 still gives you a good price). Add that to your fold equity and I think you made the right play. I'd be surprised if he had raised the other times with a holding as strong as aj.
If you lean towards a call, consider the stop and go. But I hope I'm leaning you back to your push...
cheers
Old 03-16-2005, 12:07 PM

Default metagame stuff and a point of order

Metagame:

1. You've pushed in 3 times in the last orbit so a push is more likely to be called. (Favors call over push.)

2. Would you push AA/KK here? I would, if I had pushed 3 times in the previous orbit, but most would probably not. Flat calling is good here, even if you fold on the flop, because it shows the thinking players that you don't push all marginal hands and slowplay all big hands. (Favors call over push, but doesn't get much weight since there aren't many thinking players around and the table may break before you can take advantage of the image you have created.)

BTW- Metagame considerations only come into play for me when a decision is close. Generally, I just make the best play for the moment and then adjust to my new image in the future. I think calling/pushing is close so I just wanted to add these reasons that favor calling in addition to the ones I previously posted.

Point of order: Several have mentioned calling off a "large" percentage of your stack preflop. The call is only ~10% of his stack. He's playing with position and almost 3:1 immediate odds, 13:1 implied odds. What's wrong with playing a flop in that situation against a random hand, especially if the SB will autobet almost any flop (and he probably will since he is an aggressive player)?

Later,
Che
Old 03-16-2005, 12:18 PM

Location: Hurricanes, animal corpses and your potential new tattoo have a lot in common. Think about it.

[ QUOTE ]
But, keep in mind that "because that's what Che (MLG, Fossilman, whoever) would do" is not a good reason for making any given choice.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just when I thought I had found a winning strategy...
Old 03-16-2005, 12:23 PM

Ok mark, I think I am missing the point! :-)

I could understand what you did if you had say 4BB's left, and so then encouraging a weak hand to call, but with over 10BBs........ I wont say it again!

Most seems to agree with you, so I obviosly need to sit down think about it more.

Good luck

ZCAHV82
Old 03-16-2005, 01:05 PM

Default Re: metagame stuff and a point of order

good point. I think it's close.