Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-16-2005, 09:53 AM

Default Re: UB- el diablo hand

Why is this a bad beat? Diablo had the ass end of a board with many configurations of boats on it all higher that Diablo's. I beieve a few of you believe this to be a bad beat because of your respect for diablo's play on this site. He got beat, it wasn't that bad. Move on.
Old 03-16-2005, 09:57 AM

Yeah, when I flop the third nuts I try to keep the pot pretty small in case someone hits a four-outer on me.
Old 03-16-2005, 10:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Badboyy thanks for the post. Let's hope that some of the experts like Flynn and Ray Zee chime in here on the intracacies of this hand (like maybe Diablo should have pushed on the flop???) this thread could get v. interesting.

[/ QUOTE ]

true.
This hand is very uninteresting.

[/ QUOTE ]

Time for some new batteries in the ol' sarcasm detector, dude.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 03-16-2005, 10:05 AM

OK. I'll try and make this interesting. Assume that Villain has exactly the pot left. Which turn cards would make you fold to a push?

I think either of the other Queens, and nothing else. Ace would be scary in a raised pot, but I call getting 2-1.
Old 03-16-2005, 10:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Why is this a bad beat? Diablo had the ass end of a board with many configurations of boats on it all higher that Diablo's. I beieve a few of you believe this to be a bad beat because of your respect for diablo's play on this site. He got beat, it wasn't that bad. Move on.

[/ QUOTE ]

It is a pretty pedestrian hand. If he is extremely steamed by this one hand, he is playing over his head and should move down in limits.

But...
1. his opponent did play it poorly
2. you can be pretty sure you have the best hand on the flop when you have the underfull here, even when you get action. Brunson correctly says not to slow play this hand, but unless stacks were extremely deep (it seems they were not), Diablo did nothing which could be construed as slow playing. So calling it the "ass end of it", as if the underfull is the equivalent of the ignorant end of a straight is pretty foolish.

But yeah, he probably needs to move down a limit if one hand can set him off like that. It happens in poker. It was smart to leave the table though.
Old 03-16-2005, 11:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, when I flop the third nuts I try to keep the pot pretty small in case someone hits a four-outer on me.

[/ QUOTE ]

You must be reading something in my post that I don't see. Did I mention anywhere that the pot should be kept small or did I criticize Diablo's play? No. I'm simply pointing out the fact that he didn't have the nuts at ANY point and that beats like that are likely to heppen when you don't. Ok, a three hit to complete the villains hand, would it still be a bad beat if an Ace fell on the turn to boat him up? The problem is you pre-madonna 2+2er's who feel like every pot you enter with the 3rd nuts you should win. Go ahead and flame me, itll have about as much affect on me as this original post did. Babies. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 03-16-2005, 11:30 AM

Whether you have the nuts or the third nuts actually has no impact on the probability of your opponent hitting a four-outer.
Old 03-16-2005, 11:42 AM

A bad beat has little to do with the absolute value of your hand, it's about the relative value of your hand compared to the other hand. Losing to a four outer with one card to come isn't the worse beat in the world, but it's still a bad beat.
Old 03-16-2005, 11:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Whether you have the nuts or the third nuts actually has no impact on the probability of your opponent hitting a four-outer.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why do people keep saying it was a 4-outter? On the flop he had 4 outs but on the turn he had 7 because if the river paired the turn he won the pot too. ~15%
Old 03-16-2005, 11:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]

The problem is you pre-madonna 2+2er's who feel like every pot you enter with the 3rd nuts you should win. Go ahead and flame me, itll have about as much affect on me as this original post did. Babies. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think most posters postdate the Queen of Pop.