Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-16-2005, 02:19 AM

Default KT / QT suited after multiple limpers (from Harrington\'s book)

I've been playing a lot of $25 NL lately. I've read Harrington's book a few times, and it's helped me a lot. I'm working on my pre-flop strategy and comparing it to Harrington's book.

I find it very interesting that Harrington recommends unsuited connectors after multiple limpers, which makes perfect sense. Any moron gets scared when 3 suited cards hit the board, but if you limp in with 7-6 and hit a straight you're getting paid well.

In looking at this section (p195, and remember this is talking about pre-flop on the button behind 3 limpers):

[ QUOTE ]

Other Hands: King-jack, suited or unsuited, is worth a call here. I'd fold king-ten, however.

[/ QUOTE ]

How many people aggree with this? I have pretty much automatically been calling K-T and Q-T suited when it's cheap to get in. This may be a mistake I'm carrying over from limit. After all, Ed Miller does recommend playing these hands for one bet from every position, even in tight games. He even recommends calling a raise with K-T suited if the game is extremely loose.

When I think about it, KT/QT suited probably aren't that good. They're not connected. They can't hit the nut flush. If you hit your top card you have to be careful. In 35,000 limit hands on PT I'm way up with KTs, KTo, QTs, but I haven't had any of those hands over 100 times so this isn't very relevant, and my NL stats are way too small a sample.

I'd just like to see other people's thoughts on these hands. For now I think I'll stop playing them outside the blinds.

I know Harrington's book isn't about cash games, but it's the most useful thing I've found.
Old 03-16-2005, 02:31 AM

Default Re: KT / QT suited after multiple limpers (from Harrington\'s book)

Harrington's book and views are quite tight and are suited to playing against experienced, strong players and have the ever-present notion that getting broke is the end of all EV opportunities (as it is in tourney play). He's also working under fairly short stacks, so the straight and other possibilities of KT are negated.

for me, KTs is a hand i'll very often raise with in a multiway, limped pot in an agressive game if in LP. KTo is a little more tricky, but the important thing about these hands is not that they're worthless, just that they require the ability to get away from top pair and the discipline to only play them in the latest of positions either as a caller or raiser.

fim