Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-15-2005, 05:54 PM

Default Re: need tech help with adding second monitor (yes, i\'ve already searched)

The old hp monitor should work when connected to to the same port the dell is working on so you need to get that replaced or working before you go on.

Check the pins inside the connector on the old monitor, sometimes they can get bent and not go into the right place when connected. If This is the case very carefully try to straighten any pins that are obviously bent. If you break the pin you will need to have a new cable put on or buy a new monitor, so if your unsure do not do it.

If there are no bent pins you can take the monitor to a computer shop and get them to test the monitor to verify if it is working. Hopefully they will do it for free, but if they want to charge much at all try someplace else, phone first to save yourself a trip.
Old 03-15-2005, 06:16 PM

Default Re: need tech help with adding second monitor (yes, i\'ve already searched)

Bent? Hell, it's GONE!

Where did it go?

Is this fixable?

(Three damn days wasted, over a lousy PIN???)
Old 03-15-2005, 06:36 PM

The cable can be replaced, go to the HP web site(If it is an HP Monitor) and find a service center. They will have to replace the cable with a new one. You should check your new video card and make sure the pin did not break off inside the connector. It doesn't happen often but its better to be safe than sorry, since the dell monitor worked in the old connection that one has to be clear.
Old 03-15-2005, 06:45 PM

Do you think that would be worth the expense?

I just called one local guy (not an HP guy). He asked if the cable was attached to the monitor (it is), and then said nobody bothers fixing those. $50 for labor, maybe they charge you for the new cable too...you might as well buy a new monitor.
Old 03-15-2005, 06:57 PM

You should look into the cost of a new monitor it might be more cost effective with monitor prices like they are now. All I can suggest is to do like you have already call around and if the price is going to be close to that of a new monitor get a new one.
Old 03-15-2005, 11:06 PM

Found a KDS 19", 1600x1200 for $99 after rebate at Office Depot (I imagine that's a POS brand name, but it comes with a 3-yr warrantee). Last week, they had the same monitor without the rebate ($199).

Brought it home, got the dual-monitor thing working with no problem.

Well, one problem. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

When you dial it up to 1600x1200 (or any resolution beyond 800x600), you can't see the entire desktop. If you want to see the far right of the desktop, or any window that's out there, you need to bring your mouse to the far right side of the screen--and the monitor will "scroll over" to where you're trying to get.

Is there something I can adjust to eliminate this "feature"?

(Can you imagine, THREE DAYS because one of the tiny pins fell out, without my knowing. The first step on every trouble shooting list was, "Is it hooked up correctly?", and I kept clicking "Yes". I'm so glad this is behind me. It was far and away the most stressful thing that I've ever been through--and that's coming from a guy who's been to boot camp! A guy who got FIRED last month!)

One last time, thanks a lot, Caveman! And everyone else who tried to help.