Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-11-2003, 11:57 AM

Default \"Playing With the Big Boys\"

I imagine there's little danger that any of you will be buying a copy of "Playing With the Big Boys: A Woman's Guide to Poker" by Laura Van Vleet and G.L. Norris.

I did, and it's very bad: lots of attention to wacky home games, almost nothing about real poker, and poorly edited in general. The only thing that's interesting in an appalling way is the interview with Wendeen Eolis, who sounds like a seriously delusional narcissist.
Old 01-11-2003, 04:47 PM

Default Re: \"Playing With the Big Boys\"

Hi Liz:

Thanks. I saw this title somewhere but other than that, I haven't heard anything about it.

My opinion on this subject is that even though I will concede that there are a few things an expert women player can do to increase her win rate a little, you still need to know how to play poker well. The best women players who are very successful, play well just like the best men players who are very successful. There is no "magic bullet" for women.

Best wishes,
Mason
Old 01-11-2003, 05:56 PM

I am looking to get my wife into playing at our home games... but she doesn't think she has an advantage.. Do you think this book would be a good started to get her motivated to play with us... possibly inducing her to believe however real or not, that she may have an advantage?
Old 01-11-2003, 08:40 PM

Thanks, Mason. I agree, of course; I just can't resist buying a poker book.

Poppel, for something specifically oriented to women, I think you would do better to find an out-of-print copy of "Poker for Women: A Course in Destroying Male Opponents at Poker...and Beyond" by Mike Caro. I like www.bookfinder.com for out-of-print books (although there's no copy of this book there right now).