Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-15-2005, 05:06 AM

Default AQo flops overcards and a gutshot

I was in the midst of a bad run of cards where I would raise preflop and then have to fold on the flop. Before this hand I had done it two consecutive times and I began to feel like people were starting to take shots at me (it was certainly a bluff happy table).

No reads on SB but I hadn't seen any hard evidence of him being tricky. Loose player.

Paradise Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (8 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Button calls, SB calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>.

Flop: (7 SB) J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, Button folds, SB calls.

A call is clearly OK here (3 overcard + 4 gutshot outs), but as I said before I had a feeling this guy was bluffing so I raised. It also might buy me a free card. Spewing chips or a good aggressive play?

Turn: (5.50 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB 3-bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: (11.50 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, SB calls.

I have no clue what he has at this point.

Final Pot: 13.50 BB
Old 03-15-2005, 05:11 AM

Default Re: AQo flops overcards and a gutshot

[ QUOTE ]
but as I said before I had a feeling this guy was bluffing so I raised.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wouldn't recomend playing feelings without reads. That said, I think your play is fine. The flop raise is okay with overs and a gut shot. I like the turn raise too. I think I make a crying call on the river (or check behind) if the second queen doesn't fall because the pot is large.
Old 03-15-2005, 05:15 AM

I would have just called the flop, your A and Q outs may not be that clean with flush and straight draws out there.

If your read is correct a raise here is prob good, but against the average guy id just call. You obviouly took all that into acc when raising.

Nice hand
Old 03-15-2005, 09:53 AM

I play it the same way. Nice hand.
Old 03-15-2005, 10:24 AM

Nice hand, but I am not sure what I would do against the turn 3 bet; not folding, but probably crying. I have no idea what he has.
I like the flop raise. That cleans up your hand by possibly eliminated flush draws. and gets rid of other gut shots. Just take the free card if he gives it to you on 4th and you need it.
Old 03-15-2005, 11:52 AM

Very well played [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 03-15-2005, 11:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I had a feeling this guy was bluffing so I raised.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't see why this is reason enough to raise.

Edit: That's not to say I disagree with the way you played the hand, but I think the reasons behind playing a hand are more important than the actions.

Rob