Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-15-2005, 12:11 AM

Default Confused and Frustrated

4 months ago I had a pretty decent bankroll and was doing ok in the win/loss department. I don't do this for a living so winning a bit each week was just fine with me. Then everything seemed to go south. Tonight I'm spending my last 2 bucks on a cheap sit and go on Pacific (I'll be able to reload a small amount next week).

I've tried everything I can think of to stop this slide. I've taken breaks, gone down levels, analyzed my game, had other people analyze my game, tightened my opening requirments until my eyeballs hurt, and nothing has seemed to work.

As an example: I played a 5 buck sng a couple of hours ago where the highest card I saw the whole game was a jack! Another: A few days ago I had 8 decent openers in a row and never even floped a pair! One more: Last week I counted 12 times I flopped 4 cards to a flush and never hit one of them.

I understand the idea of variances and downswings. But, like I said, this has been going on for four months now. I'm to the point where I'm not sure, as much as I like playing the game, it's worth it anymore. I keep telling myself it will turn around someday, but it doesn't.

I guess I'm looking for feedback from anyone who's gone through this kind of thing and come out the other side.

Dean
Old 03-15-2005, 12:12 AM

Default Re: Confused and Frustrated

Hey, you don't understand the idea of variance and downswings.
-James
Old 03-15-2005, 12:33 AM

perhaps you're not a winning player? (yet?)

Adam
Old 03-15-2005, 12:48 AM

Default Re: Confused and Frustrated *DELETED*

Post deleted by deacsoft
Old 03-15-2005, 12:51 AM

Variance is a stern godess. I know. If you keep trying to improve as a player and keep the right midset, you'll be good in the long term
Old 03-15-2005, 12:53 AM

uh...deacsoft?

he said:

[ QUOTE ]
I don't do this for a living so winning a bit each week was just fine with me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice post, though. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Adam
Old 03-15-2005, 12:55 AM

deac,

First off he never said he was considering doing it for a living. He said he plays just for fun. Recreational player. So your whole post is pointless.

To the OP:

I went through this last year, roughly 6mo after I started playing for a living. I was on a cold deck for a little over 3mo. I was playing with a risky bankroll and lost it all (roughly 8k).

All I can tell you is, it happens to the best players in the world. There's no way to tell when you'll get over it. All you can do is keep studying the game, learn to accept when you're on a cold deck and when you're playing bad. Make sure the cold deck doesn't cause you to lose more money than need be. Tilt from cold cards is very costly (from experience here).

The majority of players (Recreational and professional) wont make it past their first cold wave of cards. All I can say is stick with it, and good luck.
Old 03-15-2005, 12:56 AM

don't take this the wrong way... but do you play winning poker?

Another thing might be the fact that you now have it in you're head that you can't win, which is causing you to make incorrect decisions. Perhaps you're focusing on results of each hand played rather than focusing on why you played the hand the way you did.

You WILL lose at poker during any given stretch no matter how good you are. It sucks and anyone who says otherwise is full of [censored]. It's just something that you have to expect to go through. The key I think (as long as you are playing correct, winning poker) is to not change your game.

Hope this helps a bit
Old 03-15-2005, 12:56 AM

Welcome aboard,

Read Gambling Theory and Other Topics, or read Poker Essays, both from the host of this site Mason Malmuth and Two Plus Two publishing.
Old 03-15-2005, 01:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
uh...deacsoft?

he said:

[ QUOTE ]
I don't do this for a living so winning a bit each week was just fine with me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice post, though. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Adam

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah... wow. Funny how misreading one little word can turn into such a big reply. My bad.