Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-14-2005, 04:56 PM

Default Re: need tech help with adding second monitor (yes, i\'ve already searc

[ QUOTE ]
my dell 2001fp is in the mail. what do i need to buy add a 2nd moniter (original emachines LCD).

a video card that supports two moniters? is that all i need to say to the salesperson? can i get this at radioshak/staples or just a place like best buy?

what are the next steps?

also, do i need to max out the resolution on the 2001 or does it fit four tables no problem?

[/ QUOTE ]

Check to see if your video card has 2 monitor connections. If it does, the most common setup would be a DVI (the white connector), and VGA, the standard "pin" type monitor connection.

If this is how your video card is set up, you can run one 2001 FP off the DVI connection and one off the VGA connection. DVI is a digital interface, superior to VGA, so it will provide a crisper picture. The monitor hooked up to the VGA will be slighlty less sharp and crisp, although some people can barely tell a difference.

For the best possible picture on both, you'd want a video card with dual DVI outputs, the cheapest of which will run you aroound $180.
Old 03-14-2005, 04:59 PM

Default Re: need tech help with adding second monitor (yes, i\'ve already searched)

To disable the on board you need to have one monitor pluged into it. this should give you back control of your computer. Right click on screen go to properties,to settings,to advanced,to monitor. Then you should be able to disable on board. Then connect the monitors to the new graffics card ports.You should now be able to see your windows desk top. If not you may have to reinstall the drivers for the new graffics card. Hope this helps. Trying to remember this with out doing it is tough.
Old 03-14-2005, 07:54 PM

To disable the on board video you will have to go into the system BIOS and disable the onboard video. When your computer starts watch the screen it will usually tell you how to enter the setup. Pressing the delete key early in the start up process works for many computers but the exact keys you need to push can vary depending opn the computer and BIOS maker.

Once in the setup page you will need to go thru the various pages and find the one with your onboard video, just change it from enabled to disabled. If you are not sure you located the right thing then post back rather than making changes you are unsure of,

WARNING IF YOU MAKE INCORRECT CHANGES IN THE BIOS IT IS POSSIBLE TO DISABLE YOUR COMPUTER FROM WORKING UNTIL THE SETTINGS ARE CORRECT,

so be patient and make sure your understand the change you are making. Once you make the change of the onboard video save the changes and exit.

When your computer reboots you should install any drivers that came with the new video card. Then you should be able to go into your display properties and get both monitors to work. You might also want to check the ATI website and make sure you have the newest driver for your video card.
Old 03-14-2005, 08:26 PM

Default Re: need tech help with adding second monitor (yes, i\'ve already searched)

When I go the BIOS (what the hell does "BIOS" mean, anyways?), I don't get to disable my onboard video adapter. I get to choose my PRIMARY video adapter, and my choices are PCI and ONBOARD. PCI is already selected.

Can I leave it like this?
Old 03-14-2005, 08:34 PM

BIOS =Basic Input Output System, It is the Basic setup information for your computer so it knows how to interact with the parts in your system. If the setting you described is all you have the PCI setting should be ok. I would go through the rest of the pages to make sure there is not a way to disable it, if not post back and I can tell you how to disable it in windows but others may have already done that.
Old 03-14-2005, 08:36 PM

PLEASE!! TELL ME!!!
Old 03-14-2005, 08:52 PM

Go Into device manager and select display adapters and choose the onboard video. Right click and choose properties at the bottom of the window the should be a drop down box showing it as enabled, choose disable the exact wording can vary depending on which operating sytem you are using but it is an either or thing so it will be obvious which to choose.
Old 03-14-2005, 09:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I right-click on the Desktop, select "Properties" then "Settings". I check the box that says, "Extend my Windows Desktop to this monitor", then click "OK".

[/ QUOTE ]

When you do this what is listed under display in the same window? does it say multiple monitors(and video card info) or default monitor(and video card info), you have to choose the multiple monitor option to run 2 monitors off the same video card.

You have probably already done this but it is best to look at the simplest solutions first.
Old 03-14-2005, 09:15 PM

i cant really tell if i have two ports. this is what i see:

the standard connections for muse/speakers/keyboard/printed/usb.

then the miniter one that i have my current CRT hooked up to and a port that says seriel (this one is smaller)
Old 03-14-2005, 10:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
choose disable the exact wording can vary depending on which operating sytem you are using but it is an either or thing so it will be obvious which to choose.

[/ QUOTE ]

It may have been obvious--but I may have chosen the wrong one.

I chose "Uninstall".

Now, I've got two screens. One is still blank.

My taskbar and Start button is on the monitor that is working. But every window that I try to open, opens on the non-working monitor. For many of these windows, I can right-click on the taskbar, and select "move to monitor 2", and the window moves to the working monitor.

But when I try to get the Display Settings up, it opens on the other monitor--and does not give me the option of moving it to where I can see it.

Please don't tell me I need to do "System Recovery" again! I've done it five times these past two days.

My last 2 days, from the time I wake up to the time I go to bed, have been messing with these monitors. This has been the most frustrating experience of my life. No fooling.

I'm on the verge of tears here. Somebody help!

What's my next step?

Could it be that my original monitor quit working? I can't believe that's the case. It worked fine until I started this project. I've tried switching plugs, and the flea-market Dell still works, and the HP I've always had is still blank, with the green power button still lit--but I can't turn that off.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.