Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-14-2005, 08:01 PM

Default Re: Being a Winner!

lol, you're right speed does kill, especially at 3 minute blind increases.

Thats interesting what you say CSC, and as you know I was aiming to win, but maybe should have picked a a better moment, Eg if I had Ace Medium/low kicker or King with medium kicker. I think obviously high cards are the way to go, and It wasn't as if I had the Big blind next hand so could have waited. I don't mind if I get poor hands when on the BB/Sb and go out with crappy hands,but what really annoys me about my play is if I don't have to play the hand, but chose to steal the blinds against the chip leader, so risk going out with a mediocer hand, obviously picking the wrong situation to do this, and then go out! how frustrating! Anyway I'm sure it will come with experience. Thanks for your replies,

ZCAHV82
Old 03-14-2005, 08:08 PM

I guess my only thinking is that, BEFORE hand No. 1, you mention you folded the BB, leaving you with 1800 after posting the small blind. I'm wondering why you didn't push right there - you're well under 10BBs, and the 'bidding war' you describe means there are going to be a ton of chips in that pot.

I might've pushed right there ... but again, I don't know what you held and what everyone else did. But that hand and your BB fold might be more of a key hand in that tournament than the actual hand you posted.
Old 03-14-2005, 08:16 PM

Hi yoadrians, thanks for insight, what happened in the hand when I was in the BB was, UTG raised all in To 5000, MP raised to 8000 all in. I had 23o. lol, I folded [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Think that was correct. UTG had QQ, MP had AA
Old 03-14-2005, 08:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hand 2 - You are not in this to make the final table. While it is true that the pay day for reaching the final table is bigger than the payday for 11th, the difference btwn 1st and 2nd is huge.

[/ QUOTE ]

If he folds every hand at the final table he's guaranteed fifth and one lucky BB hand means he gets around third. Speed tourneys are extremely different animals.

To figure out exactly how different, BTW, try this: figure out how much tripling up means to you if you become the 1st, 2nd, 5th, or 7th largest stack at the table, how much it means to have a big stack to your right, left or across the table, and how many blind all ins it takes to go from 100 people left to the final table if everyone at your table stalls properly (and you are seated at table 1, 5 or 10).

That's a lot of work, but when you're done with it you'll know why it's very often correct to fold KK and sometimes AA UTG in a speed tourney.
Old 03-14-2005, 08:31 PM

Hi Adanthar,

thanks for that. Will have to think about it alot, I can't see how I would ever fold KK AA utg, but will have to sleep on it, but your are right, you need a little luck, and some patients as well. just when I needed patients, I got all excited and blew it. oh well, I'm sure it will happen again.

By the way, for the last 30 it is Hand for hand, and so no stalling at the end for the final table.

cheers, and goodnight,

ZCAHV82
Old 03-14-2005, 08:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
thanks for that. Will have to think about it alot, I can't see how I would ever fold KK AA utg

[/ QUOTE ]

You have 5K chips with 50/100K blinds and are at table 4 with 32 people left. The table is about to break and most of the vacancies at the other 3 tables will naturally be around the blinds, which means you won't post them for another round (hopefully you wind up on table 3 and get broken up *again* before they hit, but that's luck).

If you triple up, you'll have 15K. That gets you absolutely nothing if the guy to your right at your new table has 45K. See why?
Old 03-14-2005, 08:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]

If you triple up, you'll have 15K. That gets you absolutely nothing if the guy to your right at your new table has 45K. See why?

[/ QUOTE ]

No i don't see why. But I's like to know your reason. Is he trying to win or move up in the money? I'd take a triple up any day, but I'm kind of new at this.

Ben
Old 03-14-2005, 09:00 PM

Whether you have 5K or 15K, you'll still have to win 2 all ins at your new table blind.
Old 03-15-2005, 09:22 AM

To answer your questions.
For these speed tournaments, I believe the most difficult thing is surviving the Blinds when they come around, and thus the more you have relative to the rest of the table, the less likely you are to go out with crappy hands. Correct?

I do understand your logic about if a table is to break, and there is a good chance you will end up behind the blinds on the next table, but surely it is good poker to obviosly play these good hands whenever you get them from what ever position. My mentality is if I go out playing good hands, I don't mind. If I go out because the blinds got me, I don't mind, but I were to go out, playing hands I don't have to this upsets me! especially if there was poor lateral thinking in the first place. If you triple up in utg, then you have $15,000, and have a chance of getting yourself to the final table.

Surely the question is a lot different if you have 33,000. If you manage to triple up, then will have 100,000,and thus
have approximately one tenth of the whole chips out there, and a real good chance to boss everyone around, and even more chance to survive the blinds.

Obviously having the Big stack on your right is far better than on your left.

I was originally doing a lot better before I got to this point. I had 150,000 with about 20 people left( about one sixth of all the chips). I was in CO, and got Ace Qo, there was an UTG with 75,000, and he went all in, my thinking was he might have a PP, or trying to have a cheap shot at the blinds. Obviously I called. He showed AA, and I went down to 75,000. Should I have folded AQo. My thinking at the time was, I was the biggest stack, and had to Boss everyone around. Was my thinking wrong? Was it a debatable call. maybe this hand is more important for my demise than the previous one, especially in such a dominant position.
Thanks for you reply's, I'm sure this is improving my play.
Very interesting

ZCAHV82