Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-14-2005, 06:45 PM

Default Re: SSNL : Playing one table

I don't have a lot to add to what has been said except my $.02 and this is something I have been thinking about a lot lately. I usually 2 table 1/2 for the reasons stated above, it increases my winrate and decreases boredom when there are swings of no cards. However, when I get to three tables I find myself just making rote decisions and ABC poker as I generally have no reads other than my PT reads. The action happens too fast for me with three tables and I end up missing key info. So sometimes I try and play one table to focus on reads, I also do it when I am in the middle of a losing streak b/c I find I can slow down a bit and really focus on my A game. The only problem is that if the cards aren't coming for awhile those J9s hands start looking mighty good and I can get myself into trouble that way as well. Anyways, just my thoughts.
Old 03-14-2005, 08:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The only problem is that if the cards aren't coming for awhile those J9s hands start looking mighty good and I can get myself into trouble that way as well. Anyways, just my thoughts.

[/ QUOTE ]

There was a comment about taking real precise notes and reading hand histories to keep oneself occupied, I found that to be very interesting.

I also like to keep 2+2 nearby to search, read and post while hands are bad and reads are made.

Perhaps you could keep a book handy and read a few lines when a boring hand develops or you already have reads on the players involved.

This is definitely a good opportunity to practice that patience skill we poker players usually lack, and that all important tiltlessness.

Some 4-tablers or 8-tablers might also find that there is an addictive component to their game, which might make it harder to go through losing streaks and easier to tilt.
Old 03-14-2005, 08:34 PM

I like the idea of keeping the forum up. When I am reading posts and thinking about others hands it does focus and sharpen my game, and helps keep me from making stupid decisions. Thanks Beav. . .
Old 03-14-2005, 10:35 PM

Very good idea. I have been down a lot the last month somthing like 40 buy ins over 8k hands and today its the first day I made money. Probably very results oriented but it does help when ure on a long loosing streak, at least psychologiclly.

mushi [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Old 03-14-2005, 11:51 PM

40 buyins over 8K hands may not be variance, man. You might want to step down limits or something until you find leaks because that is really a pretty big downswing. Hope things turn around for you quickly (sounds like they are).
Old 03-15-2005, 04:49 AM

I get bored and go on tilt, spewing chips. The same reason is why I suck at MTTs (and even long winded SNGs), I just don't have the stamina for it.

Ring games and multitabling is definately +EV in my case, I wonder how I would do in live play. I'd probably suck ass.
Old 03-15-2005, 05:56 AM

I usually play one table. I'm a student, and I find multi-tabling's too stressful and feels too much like a "job."

I usually play just 1-2 tables while playing the Playstation. It's relaxing, and I make enough to cover rent, so I find it a largely preferable situation.

Frankly, I don't know how the 8-tablers do it. It's WAY stressful for me to 4-table. Especially when I get a phone call or something.