Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-14-2005, 01:29 PM

Default Being a Winner!

Hello all, I am trying to win these big multi tournaments on Party and have been improving lots and lots( thanks to this board). I always tend to get close to the money, but have bigger intentions of winning one ( or to the final table at least), and so don't care if I get my money back.

Do I have a problem with my thinking, and going about it all the wrong way. I will post two hands.

Hand 1. $10 multi table, 700 started, down to the last 100, ten away from the money.

Blinds are 2000/1000

I'm in SB, with 1800, I just folded BB preflop, due to bidding war, and so now I post the SB $1000, and have only $800 left. Table is typically playing slow, but i know that if I were to fold I would be in the money by the next time the blinds get around.

UTG+1 goes all in with $1750, and CO goes all in with $1780, folded to me. BB has me covered. I have A9o. I know that I am probably an underdog to either UTG+1 or CO, but my thinking was this. If I fold, I will make the money but have little chance of progressing with only 800. If I call, I have both UTG+1 covered and CO and so as long as I beat the BB, then I will still be in the game, all be it with $40 dollars if either of them beat me. But If I were to get lucky and win, would set myself up for a chance to go futher.

So I call, UTG has 88, CO has AQo, and BB has 44.

Of course i don't improve, UTG wins, and BB comes second and thus I go out. Was this a good play?. I think it was, but am ready for some slamming!

Hand 2. $20 multi table, 950 started, down to the last 15.

I am in CO with $75,000, have been getting a little lucky, to survive the blinds, as they are at 100,000/50,000.

Anyway, I have about one tenth of the total chips, and am feeling confident/eager to go fourth and potentially win.

I get J9s, and everyone has folded to me. The BB has 5000 and is all in,the button has 5000, and is sure to fold but the SB has 95,000( largest stack on the table), and just posted the 50,000 for the SB. I see this as my chance to try and steal his SB, and even if I lost to the BB will make a profit, as long as I can make the SB fold. Of course I go all in, SB thinks for a long time and calls. He Has JTo, hits his ten, and I go out. I felt so stupid after that play, especially as after two hands it went to the final table, and could have done so much better. Even if I was to fold every hand from then , I would have came 5th!! aarrgghhh. As you can still see, I am still angry over it, especially as I see now, that all he had to call was 25,000 for all those chips! Please feel free to knock a man when he is down, or does anyone think this was correct.......but I doubt it!

You guys are far brighter than me. Still 15th is my best so far, so nearly there.

Thanks for all your advice and feel free to beat me up.

One day I will win one, altough I thought last night was my best ever chance. oh well, there is always next time.

Thanks for listening to me moan,

ZCAHV82

[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Old 03-14-2005, 01:52 PM

Default Re: Being a Winner!

are you sure about the blinds being the size of your stack?
Old 03-14-2005, 01:57 PM

Yes I am for both hands, it was a speed tounament, and so the blinds go up every three minutes! crazy i know.
Old 03-14-2005, 02:05 PM

push and pray at these speed tourneys at this point. Either move is debatably good with blinds this high.

WJ
Old 03-14-2005, 02:05 PM

Speed tournaments are completely different from normal tournaments and stalling/folding for half your stack is very often a good idea.

Hand 1 is a clear fold. Hand 2 is tougher - if the SB has been playing scared, it's a raise. However, you are assured enough $ at the final table that getting called is a horrible outcome and may make it a fold.

Incidentally, a lot actually depends on whether you're at table 2 or table 1. If you're at 1, you know where you will be sitting (in MP) when you reach the final table. If you're at 2, you may need to gamble more since for all you know you're sitting UTG.
Old 03-14-2005, 02:06 PM

I think the best idea here is to stall and fold. Let the committed stacks fight it out. With blinds this big you'll be at the final table in no time. Why risk it w/ j9?
Old 03-14-2005, 03:21 PM

I was on table one. I realised what a stupid move it was when I was out. oh how easy in hindsight. just wasn't thinking at the time! thanks for the advice. Looks like i played both hands wrong. oh well, keep learning!

Thanks

ZCAHV82
Old 03-14-2005, 03:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
to go fourth and potentially win.

[/ QUOTE ]

tee hee. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 03-14-2005, 03:51 PM

ZC, I really don't have a problem with hand 2. Hand 1, you are likely dominated with your most likely chance being hitting a nine while one of the other TWO players DON'T catch whatever they need to beat a pair of nines. I don't mind going down with A9, but as a push, not a call. Also, at this point in the tourney, it is really time to start thinking about just getting your money back so you can try again.

Hand 2 - You are not in this to make the final table. While it is true that the pay day for reaching the final table is bigger than the payday for 11th, the difference btwn 1st and 2nd is huge. I think you have about 50% FE on this hand. The SB probably isn't gonna call with 72o (though he probably should). The problem is, the difference btwn you two is that he can lose this hand and still watch 5 more people bust. However, J9s is a very decent holding and even given his holding, you still have about a 33% chance of winning the hand. Of course, if we knew what he had, I'd fold, but I like the move.

CSC
Old 03-14-2005, 04:07 PM

Speed kills.