Old 03-13-2005, 10:52 PM

Default Re: Disprove the Bible

i disagree
Old 03-13-2005, 11:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
That's the sad thing, that Jews, Christians and Muslims worship the same God but they all hate each other on a macro level.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree.

[/ QUOTE ]

Completely disagree. That's like saying NL and Limit hold'em is the same game.

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree because I think it is a gross overstatement to say that Jews, Christians and Muslems hate each other. Some yes but no where even close to a majority.
Old 03-13-2005, 11:05 PM

Amen to that
Old 03-13-2005, 11:25 PM

I don't have time to read 126 posts so if I'm repeating someone else, I apologize.

Religion is based on faith and faith by definition is believing in something for which you have no proof. Whether it's faith in the existence in God or faith that your pilot isn't drunk. Science, of course, is based on facts and proof. So when we have have debates which try to settle once and for all if the Bible is true we get no where.
Early on in the book of Genesis it states that God gave man free will to live by His laws or not. If we could prove the existance of God we would no longer have free will and there would be no more faith. Think about that. If you had proof you would be tossed into a lake of fire, would you still covet your neighbor's wife? Probably not. I,for one, would stop coveting immediately. If God is all-knowing then He knows enough to prevent us from proving His existance.
I work with a guy who insists that the world is only 6,000 years old. And that fossil remains are faked in some kind of conspiracy or something. I'm not sure what the point of the conspiracy is. I've always told him that I'll accept his point that the world is 6,000 years old as long as he accepts that when God made it He made it appear to be millions of years older by scattering dinosaur bones around. My point is... I don't care how old the universe is. Maybe it's billions of years old and He let evolution run it's course. Then 6,000 years ago he popped back in and made Adam and Eve. Or maybe He made it all 6,000 years ago and created plenty of evidence to suggest that it is much older. Either way He left plenty of room for doubt and that forces us to either have faith or not.

All that being said, the original question was "Would the existance of life on Mars disprove the Bible?" The answer is obviously... No
Even if you accept that every word in the Bible is true you wouldn't be silly enough to believe that it's the Whole Truth, would you? I'm pretty confident that God has us on a need-to-know program. This Universe is entirely too immense for us to be His only project.
Old 03-13-2005, 11:38 PM

That was a very clear and insightful answer. I am defenseless. Thank you
Old 03-13-2005, 11:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't have time to read 126 posts so if I'm repeating someone else, I apologize.

Religion is based on faith and faith by definition is believing in something for which you have no proof. Whether it's faith in the existence in God or faith that your pilot isn't drunk. Science, of course, is based on facts and proof. So when we have have debates which try to settle once and for all if the Bible is true we get no where.
Early on in the book of Genesis it states that God gave man free will to live by His laws or not. If we could prove the existance of God we would no longer have free will and there would be no more faith. Think about that. If you had proof you would be tossed into a lake of fire, would you still covet your neighbor's wife? Probably not. I,for one, would stop coveting immediately. If God is all-knowing then He knows enough to prevent us from proving His existance.
I work with a guy who insists that the world is only 6,000 years old. And that fossil remains are faked in some kind of conspiracy or something. I'm not sure what the point of the conspiracy is. I've always told him that I'll accept his point that the world is 6,000 years old as long as he accepts that when God made it He made it appear to be millions of years older by scattering dinosaur bones around. My point is... I don't care how old the universe is. Maybe it's billions of years old and He let evolution run it's course. Then 6,000 years ago he popped back in and made Adam and Eve. Or maybe He made it all 6,000 years ago and created plenty of evidence to suggest that it is much older. Either way He left plenty of room for doubt and that forces us to either have faith or not.

All that being said, the original question was "Would the existance of life on Mars disprove the Bible?" The answer is obviously... No
Even if you accept that every word in the Bible is true you wouldn't be silly enough to believe that it's the Whole Truth, would you? I'm pretty confident that God has us on a need-to-know program. This Universe is entirely too immense for us to be His only project.

[/ QUOTE ]

Great post man.

I especially liked god operating on a need to know basis.
Old 03-13-2005, 11:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
there is plenty of evil and suffering that does not arise from free will, e.g., last December's tsunami in Southeast Asia.

[/ QUOTE ]

You can't lump suffering and evil together. A tsunami is not evil, it is a natural disaster. Evil is a conscious decision made by conscious beings to do the opposite of good.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Man was put on the earth to be tested. Evil tries to tempt man away from god.

[/ QUOTE ]
Why is this an acceptable explanation to you?

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not to me. Evil to me is the opposite of good. God wants us to be good, but we are not being good if not given the choice to do otherwise. Were God to just get rid of evil, he would take away our choice, and the supposed 'good' actions we took would not really be good, since there would be no choice.
Old 03-13-2005, 11:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
That's the sad thing, that Jews, Christians and Muslims worship the same God but they all hate each other on a macro level.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Completely disagree. That's like saying NL and Limit hold'em is the same game.

[/ QUOTE ]
So you are saying that it's good that Jews, Christians and all hate each other?
Old 03-13-2005, 11:51 PM

Can faith be proved? No. Can faith be reasonable and even in some sense logical? Sure.
Old 03-13-2005, 11:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Congratulations on making it impossible for any rational person to ever have a conversation with you about this subject.

[/ QUOTE ]

But, that doesn't make me wrong.