Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-13-2005, 03:00 PM

Default AJ flops AK3 ... standard play against tight villain?

Villain (cutoff) is flatlander55. I have 252 hands on him and he is 17% VP$IP, 4% PFR, 1.3 tot. aggr. He's got a decent stack. I've only been at the table 1 or 2 orbits, and he hasn't been in many hands or looking like he's pushing people around.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (10 handed) converter

SB ($24.75)
BB ($66.4)
UTG ($14.8)
UTG+1 ($24.5)
UTG+2 ($24.75)
Hero ($19.75)
MP2 ($23.8)
MP3 ($65.25)
CO ($52.75)
Button ($42.62)

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $0.1.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls $0.25, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $0.75</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, CO calls $0.75, Button calls $0.75, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, UTG+1 calls $0.50.

Flop: ($3.35) K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
UTG+1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $2</font>, CO calls $2, Button folds, UTG+1 folds.

Turn: ($7.35) 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets $7</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: $14.35

This is where it would certainly be nice to have some stats about what kind of things he calls raises with. His VP$IP is almost as low as mine so I'm inclined to give him credit for not calling 3X BB without something better than AJ. Maybe he has a middle pair or something, maybe KQ suited, but after the flop I wouldn't be calling a $2 bet without AQ or better. I might raise with something like AT suited, but I wouldn't flat call in his position.

I probably shouldn't be giving him this much credit, though, because he doesn't have very high aggression. Still, I wasn't confident making a move here, so I figure I better fold and wait for someone who isn't a solid player to butt heads with.
Old 03-13-2005, 03:07 PM

Default Re: AJ flops AK3 ... standard play against tight villain?

Limp in there pre-flop. Raising marginal hands will only get you calls from better hands.
Old 03-13-2005, 05:48 PM

Fold this preflop, *especially* if a relatively tight player has called under the gun.

ryan
Old 03-13-2005, 06:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Limp in there pre-flop. Raising marginal hands will only get you calls from better hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

How do you justify this? Isn't AJo a hand that you should either raise or fold? It's certainly not a drawing hand, so I don't want a lot of limpers to the flop.

[ QUOTE ]
Fold this preflop, *especially* if a relatively tight player has called under the gun.

ryan

[/ QUOTE ]

The player UTG folded, and a loose player UTG+1 limped.
Old 03-13-2005, 06:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How do you justify this? Isn't AJo a hand that you should either raise or fold? It's certainly not a drawing hand, so I don't want a lot of limpers to the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

You raise here and which hands call you? AQ and AK. You limp here and Ax limps behind.
Old 03-13-2005, 06:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

this isn't limit...you may win some small pots raising AJo against half the table, but you'll lose a lot of big ones when someone plays a hand that dominates you.

it's better to limp in so that you can see the flop cheaply and try to hit a big hand that you might stack someone with. i treat AJ as a draw to a straight...i muck it unless there are a couple of limpers ahead of me.