Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-13-2005, 03:37 PM

Default Online poker advice?

I just opened up a party poker account with $100. I was wondering which type of game I should start with(hold em is really the only game I'm familiar with). It seems to me that limit is probably the safe way to go. But at the low stakes I'm startin with, I'm concerned about people just calling me down with bad draws and crap all the time and catching lucky breaks. But with no-limit, the swings may be a little too extreme for me; I might lose my entire bankroll in a couple of hands, etc. So any advice for a newb?
Old 03-13-2005, 03:50 PM

Default Re: Online poker advice?

[ QUOTE ]
I just opened up a party poker account with $100. I was wondering which type of game I should start with(hold em is really the only game I'm familiar with). It seems to me that limit is probably the safe way to go. But at the low stakes I'm startin with, I'm concerned about people just calling me down with bad draws and crap all the time and catching lucky breaks. But with no-limit, the swings may be a little too extreme for me; I might lose my entire bankroll in a couple of hands, etc. So any advice for a newb?

[/ QUOTE ]

At low limits your opponents are going to call you down with crap and suck out on you whichever type of holdem you choose. (and this is good) Try them both a little and see which suits you best.
Old 03-13-2005, 03:51 PM

Start playing the lowest limit party has available (.5/1), which is actually too high for your bankroll.

[ QUOTE ]
I'm concerned about people just calling me down with bad draws and crap all the time and catching lucky breaks.

[/ QUOTE ]

You do understand this is the *only* thing that makes poker profitable, don't you? If not, you probably will lose your entire bankroll in a couple of hands whether you play limit or no limit.

My advice is to pick up some good poker books such as Theory of Poker and Small Stakes Hold'em.
Old 03-13-2005, 04:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
I'm concerned about people just calling me down with bad draws and crap all the time and catching lucky breaks.

[/ QUOTE ]

You do understand this is the *only* thing that makes poker profitable, don't you? If not, you probably will lose your entire bankroll in a couple of hands whether you play limit or no limit.

[/ QUOTE ]

until you understand the above point, i recommend you don't play poker.
Old 03-13-2005, 04:20 PM

Play the lower limit sit and goes...i quit playing live games because of all the cheating thats going on.
Old 03-13-2005, 05:03 PM

the problem is when they stop doing that. then, we're in trouble.