Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-13-2005, 08:39 AM

Default Re: Since we\'re on the topic of chess

You happen to disagree with Soviet school of chess. OK =)
Old 03-13-2005, 09:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I suck at chess. I have an IQ of about 130. I'm 18.

I don't want to be a chess freak, but I'd like to know what the hell I'm doing.

Can anyone recommend a good website or book for newbs?

[/ QUOTE ]

Study and commit to memory at least ONE good opening for White and TWO good openings for black (one for when White opens with the King Pawn and another when White opens with the Queen Pawn). I recommend an aggressive, attacking opening with White. One I used frequently was the "Torre Attack," which is a Queen Pawn opening that focuses on early development of the Queen Bishop.

For Black, select an opening that gets you to the Middle Game with your pieces developed and even chances. The Caro Kann defense against King Pawn openings gives you a solid, if somewhat cramped position. It's hard to get in trouble with, though. I like the King's Indian defense against the Queen Pawn. Gets you to the Middle Game even if you play it correctly.

Lastly, play a lot and practice.
Old 03-13-2005, 10:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I suck at chess. I have an IQ of about 130. I'm 18.

I don't want to be a chess freak, but I'd like to know what the hell I'm doing.

Can anyone recommend a good website or book for newbs?

[/ QUOTE ]

I like Gameknot for playing.

For you, their opening database would be very helpful to you. They record all of the games played on the site by anyone rated over 1800. Starting with the first move, you can see the percentage of people that started each way.

If I were you, just look at the two or three most popular openings to start, and see how the players develop their pieces. Likewise, I would study to see how the opponent (black) defends these openings.

Spend some time trying these out for yourself, and use the one you are most comfortable with. Once you have an opening down, you'll at least be in the game.
Old 03-13-2005, 11:18 AM

We should do a two-plus-two chess tournament.
Old 03-13-2005, 01:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
We should do a two-plus-two chess tournament.

[/ QUOTE ]

That would be a lot of fun, actually. I wonder if ICC or one of the other major online sites would set something up like that. If not, people can arrange their own times to play, and I (or someone else) could do pairings...I can't be the only TD on this forum with a copy of SwissSys. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

As for starting out, I'd recommend all of the following:

1) Learn the very basics of positional ideas and a few openings. Specific variations, at this point in your development, are not important, nor is the importantance of queen and bishop vs. queen and knight. What is important is having a general feel for getting out of the opening without losing, and knowing things like "where should my pieces generally be? What kind of position is best for me when I have a bishop vs. a knight?"

2) Tactics, tactics, tactics! Greygoo asked, "what good is tactical knowledge if you're underdeveloped out of the opening?" A better question is: what good is coming out of the opening +/= if you can take advantage of it?

Until you become a strong player, the vast majority of your time should be spend on tactical combinations. The ability to accurately spot 2 and 3 move combinations will make you far better than all your friends, and begin to make you a decent tournament player.

3) Learn some basic endgames, and start working on more complex ones. This is a part of the game that is neglected by way too many players. I'm way out of form right now (too much poker, maybe?), but still get way more points than I deserve by turning losses into draws and draws into wins in the endgame.

Silman's books, especially "The Amateur's Mind," come highly recommended. I also love Dvoretsky's Endgame Manual. For tactics, I'd recommend the computer program CT-ART 3.0.
Old 03-13-2005, 01:19 PM

This to pdfs have an study plan for rapid improvement from begginer to intermediate (earn 400 pts):

http://www.masschess.org/Chess_Horiz...nts_Part_1.pdf
http://www.masschess.org/Chess_Horiz...nts_Part_2.pdf
Old 03-13-2005, 01:22 PM

We could do it on yahoo on a sunday afternoon, Im sure we can work a swiss system ourselves.
Old 03-13-2005, 02:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
That would be a lot of fun, actually. I wonder if ICC or one of the other major online sites would set something up like that. If not, people can arrange their own times to play, and I (or someone else) could do pairings...I can't be the only TD on this forum with a copy of SwissSys.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sure ICC would allow you to set it up. But, I think you still need a TD. ICC would maybe supply some type of TD support, for a fee, depending on what is required. But, if someone from 2+2 is willing to do the legwork of being a TD, that would be the main obstacle. In this case, the main work of the TD would be "advertising" on 2+2, being a contact person via email, setting time and parameters of the tournament, etc.

If it was a weekly thing, on Sundays, I think that would be terrific. I'd definitely play on Sunday, because it's my main free day of the week. What time works best for you guys?

I just asked on ICC, and they don't really have an "Idiots guide to TD on ICC" right now. I guess whoever wanted to do it, would have to learn the wrinkles on how to set one up on there.
Old 03-13-2005, 03:15 PM

I did a little more research on ICC regarding setting up tournaments. It seems that they have various "robots" that function as TDs on the server. The only way to run a tournament on ICC is to run it through one of these robots, it seems. I already messaged the maintainer of the main robot called "Tomato", and am waiting for a response, regarding setting up a chess tournament for TwoPlusTwo members. I'll post any additional information here, as I get it.

P.S. I'll be sitting on ICC for the rest of the afternoon. I'm going to watch the Badgers play their game against Illinois, but if it gets to be a blowout, I'll come back online. My name on ICC right now is Pokernerd. Send me a tell, and I'll play all comers! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Also, 209 is the poker channel on ICC, even though it's pretty inactive most of the time.
Old 03-13-2005, 03:36 PM

I was the manager of an online chess league and I have hosted over 130 online chess tournaments.I dont mind being the TD...however a swiss system is kinda tough and complicated, I prefer a round-robin and then brackets.