Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-13-2005, 07:19 AM

Default Interesting Q9 hand..

I was at my usual game tonight and came across this hand which I found very interesting. B&M so I don't have a hand history, I'll do my best to provide the details.

Only 3 people matter in this hand, so I'll just post it as 3 handed. I was on the button with Q9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] sitting with about $175 in front of me at a $100 buy-in NL game. small blind was a rather tight player, playing pretty much only the nuts and hovering around $300, and the big blind was at about $75 bucks and looked kind of on tilt. So on with the story:

Me: Q9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] ($175)
One: ($300)
Two: ($75)

PreFlop:
Folds to me, I call, SB completes, BB checks

Flop: AAT
Checks around

Turn: J
Checks around

River: 8
SB checks, BB bets out $20, I call, SB Raises all in and has us both covered, BB Calls, I __________.

At this point the board is a rainbow, no possible flushes, and I'm holding the nut straight.

What would you do?

results in white:
<font color="white">I mucked it, They both had trip Aces with kickers lower than the board, they split the pot. However with the AA on the flop, and the J and 10 out there, I felt that it was entirely possible that someone was slowplaying a boat, especially a tight player pushing all in. It cost me $22 for calling the first bet, but I couldn't justify calling another $150+ with a pair on the board and a caller between the better and myself. Is this correct thinking?</font>
Old 03-13-2005, 07:37 AM

Default Re: Interesting Q9 hand..

You need to raise or fold preflop.

If sb was indeed a tight player playing pretty much only the nuts the fold seems good. Given this characteristic of sb though, I would surely have raised the tilting bb on the river, and if a nutpeddling sb raised all in then, I would be more certain to lay it down.

I think it was smart to take no stabs at it on earlier streets too probably, given that you limped and since stabbing tilters sometimes gets messy.
Old 03-13-2005, 07:39 AM

You are the very definition of loose-passive. You might as well just fold preflop if you aren't going to try stealing the pot at any point. On the river you have got to raise at least. You've got no reason to assume the nut-peddler in the SB will overcall, so let the tilter donate more of his stack. I don't consider myself to be terribly aggressive most of the time but you are taking it to a an entirely new level. I don't intend this to come across as a flame, but you have got to realize that your entire approach to this hand is a giant leak.
Old 03-13-2005, 07:46 AM

You are the very definition of loose-passive. You might as well just fold preflop if you aren't going to try stealing the pot at any point.

Kinda harsh but your play is hard to understand....

Was the game SH?? I dont get why you limped with q9s on the button even if it was...come in for a 3bb raise. Then you dont use the button at all...I just dont get it.
Old 03-13-2005, 11:21 PM

i'm assuming $2 bb, since it was a $100 buy in. i'm also assuming that there was $6 in the pot before any of the river action. the $20 overbet by the steaming bb seems like he is either trying to buy it, or has a better hand than a jack high straight (there is even a higher straight possible). i would have called that (rather than raising it), because there is no extra value in a raise on the river if the player making the bet is either bluffing or on a stronger hand.

the reraise all in by the tight player in the sb seemed very odd to me. if he's so tight, then why would he forfeit his final opportunity to bet a really great hand? generally tight players don't like taking risks, so why would he risk checking a boat on his final opportunity to bet it? ultimatey i would have figured that the tight player was fairly certain that one of you had a hand and would bet for him, and i would have folded to the reraise as you did.

even though that particular result did not work out, you really have to fold there. any time you have a straight (or flush) and the board is paired, and there is excessive action coming from two other players, you will lose far more money than you make by staying in teh hand. i also think limping in position with a drawing hand when there is a tilting player out of position involved in the hand is a good idea (but it can get tricky when you hit a hand and there is a lot of pressure coming your way).