Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-12-2005, 01:46 AM

Default 25/50 meta game play

5 handed 25/50, real bad player very loose preflop always calls everything gives way too much action post flop on button raises to 175 he has 1200. I just wait for good hands against him, not sure if he's adjusting at all, doesn't look like it but it would really suck if he did. I have 22 and raise to 550 with plan of betting his last 700 on any flop. Flop is Kc Qc Qs and I bet 700 after he calls preflop. I'm in SB.

I did this primiarly for meta game purposes but it seems like an okay play in itself since he'll only flop a pair 1/3 times. Thoughts?
Old 03-12-2005, 01:55 AM

Default Re: 25/50 meta game play

I dont like getting involved with 22 there, I would fold preflop if he's going to call your raise. I'd rather reraise with big cards because at least you have more outs if you bet him in and he calls the flop. Once you raised, you pretty much have to put him in even though he's correct to call on the flop with almost anything after calling your preflop reraise.
Old 03-12-2005, 02:37 AM

how do you make a play for meta-game purposes against a really bad player who won't pick up on it?
meta-game plays only work vs. players who are smart enough to think on many levels.
Old 03-12-2005, 02:50 AM

I wouldn't say he's unobservent.
Old 03-12-2005, 02:51 AM

we talk soetimes, we know each other in that respect
Old 03-12-2005, 07:00 AM

if he is a calling station who gives a lot of action on the flop, does it really make sense to reraise preflop with 22 when he is short-stacked? He may only flop a pair 1/3 of the time, but since he won't have much money left, you have to think that he'll call you all-in sometimes with just Ace high or some sort of draw. Plus he'll have his own pocket pair at least some of the time. So this type of player may be willing to go all-in 2/3 of the time, and he'll never be more than a slight underdog; why not find a better hand than 22 to take his stack?
Old 03-12-2005, 07:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
if he is a calling station who gives a lot of action on the flop, does it really make sense to reraise preflop with 22 when he is short-stacked? He may only flop a pair 1/3 of the time, but since he won't have much money left, you have to think that he'll call you all-in sometimes with just Ace high or some sort of draw. Plus he'll have his own pocket pair at least some of the time. So this type of player may be willing to go all-in 2/3 of the time, and he'll never be more than a slight underdog; why not find a better hand than 22 to take his stack?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think your missing the meta-game point of this post.
Old 03-12-2005, 07:12 PM

explain why i'm not thinking correctly then [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

i just dont see the point in reraising with 22 in this spot when there is such a large chance it'll be all-in...i'm not sure it'll affect anything one way or the other down the road...the guy is already a calling machine and already gives too much action postflop.....if this guy was a tight player who rarely gives you action, then ok, maybe it makes sense.....but against this guy? i dunno
Old 03-12-2005, 09:12 PM

I don't like this at all. Wait for a pair 8's or better then makes this play. It's pretty awful with 22.
Old 03-13-2005, 01:23 AM

I like it. Not only does it show everyone whose watching that you will play back preflop with weak holdings, but it's probably +EV in this situation against this player.