Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-11-2005, 04:53 PM

Default AQo BB - weird flop action

I thought I'd try this 2/4 thing I hear about and so far it isn't going great. [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

I'm new at this limit and I have no notes on villain from 1/2. He seemed to be on the tight side of loose... I'm guessing 35%-40% and pretty passive pre-flop, at least compared to his VP$IP. Post-flop seems weird, maybe it is just me since it is new or maybe I was... lucky... selecting a table (first one with a seat available if anyone wants to know [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]). There is a lot of CR/raising followed by folding going on but I haven't pegged him for one of the other.

PokerStars 2/4 Hold'em (6 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is BB with Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, CO calls, Button calls, SB completes, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, UTG calls, CO calls, Button calls, SB calls.

Flop: (10 SB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG calls, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises</font>, Button folds, SB folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG caps</font>, CO folds, Hero calls.

A call-cap??? WTF??? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] I guess he has to have a flush-draw, set, flush-draw+gutshot or something.... maybe he gambools.

Turn: (10 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, ...

I'd hate to give a free card to a draw... he capped and I lead into him, can I fold if he raises? I have been curious and called down two other hands on this table and all I've learned by doing that is: Yes, a lot of people really play crazy rags and catch two-pair/sets/trips. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 03-11-2005, 06:25 PM

Default Re: AQo BB - weird flop action

It sure does look like a flush draw. I think not giving him a free card is good. Don't know about calling a raise though. How good are your 5 2-pair/trips outs? If he has something goofy like 34s you get another 3 outs from the 8.

If he calls the turn and the river is a heart, what do you do?

WiteKnite
Old 03-12-2005, 05:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]

If he calls the turn and the river is a heart, what do you do?

[/ QUOTE ]

He did call the turn and the river was 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] if I recall correctly.

I lead out on the river... but now I'm not so sure if I shouldn't have check-called the river to catch a bluff and not get raised by someone being tricky with a set.
Old 03-12-2005, 06:51 AM

Most of the time this action is a big draw, or even just a reasonable flush draw, rather than a set. Just my experience. Make sure you note this action for this player, it is a big read to have. You will get gamboolers who do this, they call, see the pot is getting big, they have a draw, so ram-and-jam to win a massive pot. Turn bet, very good. What's your plan if Turn is raised?
Old 03-12-2005, 12:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Turn bet, very good. What's your plan if Turn is raised?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm pretty sure I would have folded. If the queen hadn't been a heart, say the board was Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], then I could see him raising again if he had a combined TP/draw but with this board... and me leading into him after he had capped the flop... how many players will raise with only a draw in that situation?