Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-10-2005, 12:01 PM

Default A couple hands from Party $15K Guaranteed

A couple hands that puzzled me from Tuesday night's Party $20+2 $15K Guaranteed. I apologize if these are standard (or otherwise ridiculous), I'm still pretty new to MTT's and, admittedly, a bit slow-witted. Thoughts on my play?

HAND #1:

Blinds are 15/30, Hero is MP2 with 8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]8 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

Relevant stacks:
BB (T870)
UTG (T1100)
MP1 (T710)
Hero (T600)
CO-1 (T1040)
CO (T2425)
Button (T1495)

UTG limps, 2 folds, MP1 limps, Hero limps, CO-1 limps, CO limps, Button raises to T100, SB folds, BB calls T70, UTG calls T70, MP1 calls T70, Hero pushes for T570...

* The pot is T505 when it gets back to me. I felt I had some good fold equity here and pushed in hopes of (in order of preference) winning it uncontested or getting it headsup. Noone had shown true strength to this point, I felt that Button's raise could be made with almost any two to punish the limpers. If I just call, there are still two to act behind me, and I'm stuck in the middle. Good thought process, or just call and take a flop?

HAND #2:

Blinds are 100/200, Hero is UTG+1 with 8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]8 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

Relevant stacks:
Hero (T3120)
MP1 (T1976)

UTG folds, Hero raises to T550, UTG+2 folds, MP1 raises to T1100, folded back to Hero who calls T550. Pot is T2500.

Flop is 9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]T [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]4 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

Hero pushes for T2020...

* I diddn't see this flop hitting MP1, and wanted to put him to a decision for his stack. Too aggro or proper play for the larger stack?

HAND #3:

Blinds are 1000/2000, Hero is MP1 with A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

Relevant stacks:
Hero (T15560)
MP1 (T22570)

Folded to Hero who raises to T5000, MP2 raises to T8000, folded back to Hero who pushes for T10560...

* We're well into the money at this point, but still far away from the good money (70 left, 220 paid, final table makes the good $) This is standard I assume? If I fold to the reraise I'm left with only 5 BB.

Thanks in advance for any input. Results later.
Old 03-11-2005, 10:34 AM

Default Re: A couple hands from Party $15K Guaranteed

No advice for a MTT n00b?

If it's the multiple-hands-in-one-post thing I understand, I got a bit carried away.

TIA
Old 03-11-2005, 11:15 AM

Hand 1: I think you telegaphed your hand too much by the limp. You were in middle position and decided to limp, not raise, and then when a raise came from late position, you push. This signals to me that you have a weak hand, but you are trying to pick up the dead money. If you wanted a coinflip, then you did the right thing. But if I were the late pos. raiser, I would most likely call with any 2 decent broadway cards here.

Hands 2 and 3: I pretty much play them the same. The only way you could play 3 differently is doing a stop and go.
Old 03-11-2005, 11:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The only way you could play 3 differently is doing a stop and go.

[/ QUOTE ]

This stop and go seems to be a popular topic of discussion here. From my *limited* understanding of it, this play should be used when the fold equity you will develop on the flop is greater than you would currently have with a preflop push. Is this the basic jist of it?

In this situation, if Hero just calls he is left with T7560, Villian has T14570, pot is T19000. With such a short stack after the call have I committed myself to push on any flop, regardless of texture? After my push the pot will be offering Villian almost 2:1, is the fold equity still there?

Thanks, still trying to grasp this seemingly important concept.
Old 03-11-2005, 05:22 PM

Results for those who are wondering:

HAND #1 - Button called T500, BB pushed for T770, MP1 called all-in for T610 more, Button called for T270 more.

BB flipped A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]T [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
MP1 flipped A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]7 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Button flipped A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

Board came 3 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]5 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]6 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

I got lucky and quadrupled up.

HAND #2 - MP1 called with Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] and MHING.

HAND #3 - MP2 called with K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] and I'm out.

Thanks for the advice, keep it coming if anyone likes it or thinks I suck... both are equally appreciated.