Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-11-2005, 04:08 PM

Default Re: Even More Information

I sit corrected.

However the question of "should I call a massive overbet" is so player dependent that I don't think people can give you more than a seat-of-the-pants yes or no. The pot is small, and his bet is big. You have far more information than any of us as to whether this is a profitable play.

I just don't see what you are asking. There is so little action it's not like we are deducing his hand...
Old 03-11-2005, 04:15 PM

He could have Q 10 ....has he went all in like this before?
Old 03-11-2005, 04:16 PM

We are the only two with these types of stacks, and I've been playing against him 3 hours or so. He has definitely put other players in, but you start with 40x the BB stacks. Putting people all in is not exactly uncommon.
Old 03-11-2005, 04:51 PM

Default Re: a 500x the BB hand at $1/$2 NL

given your description of him, villain would surely reraise in LP w/ AA or KK, and most likely JJ as well, right? If we can throw these hands out the window, the only hand he could be holding that you're behind is Q10, and, as Wayfare said, this is totally player dependant when it comes to calling a huuuuuge overbet like this. You said he's put people all-in before, but had he done it in this manner before, making a massive overbet? If so, did he show down the nuts? Has he been making the play often enough that it seems likely he's doing it from time to time w/ a marginal (at best) holding, if not on an out-and-out bluff? Does he often steal pots w/ healthy bets in position when it gets checked to him twice?

if this is the first time you've seen him make an overbet like this, i wouldn't be at all surprised if he showed you Q10. you said you went for a CR b/c you were "sure" he would bet the flop; isn't an oesd exactly the type of hand most players will check behind w/ in position in a raised pot?

you know better than we do . . .
Old 03-11-2005, 04:59 PM

call and spike a 7.
Old 03-11-2005, 05:00 PM

He was not the preflop raiser. As for the rest, I had not seen him bluff big before, but had seen him raise crazily, and bet big with top pair no kicker ($50 on the flop big). This was definitely uncharted territory.
Old 03-11-2005, 05:01 PM

Default Results :

I called, he had Q10, river blank.
Old 03-11-2005, 05:04 PM

Default Re: Results :

He pulled a great turn "move of honor".

Before you decided to call, did you sit back and think about the action? Did you think about likely hands that would make this move that you beat vs. beat you?

I really have to say this is an extremely easy fold if you can separate yourself from the heat of the hand. QT is a hand that players will play for a raise, and it seems pretty clear from the action that he is looking for a call with that huge overbet. He's not sticking in $450 to win $60 without a supermonster. If he is, you will have another shot to take his money.
Old 03-11-2005, 05:09 PM

given that, i think i fold here. preflop aggression coupled w/ big continuation bets on the flop is a totally different animal than massive overbets on later streets. yes, there's a decent possibility you're ahead here, but is it worth risking your whole stack to find out? you said that pfr's 10XBB open raise was "pretty standard," so won't you be able to find a better spot to get your stack in? if i haven't seen this type of bet from villain before, i tuck my tail between my legs and fold . . . [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 03-11-2005, 05:19 PM

Why would I want to find a "Better" spot?