Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-11-2005, 11:20 AM

Default am i a coward?

i always bet in these cases when the board is remotely threatening. do i need to sack up and risk a free card sometimes?

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t100 (9 handed) converter

saw flop|<font color="#C00000">saw showdown</font>

CO (t895)
Button (t3650)
SB (t1785)
Hero (t2485)
UTG (t1195)
UTG+1 (t4070)
MP1 (t1615)
MP2 (t1305)
MP3 (t2905)

Preflop: Hero is BB with Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls t100, <font color="#666666">6 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t425</font>, UTG+1 calls t325.

Flop: (t900) A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t650</font>, UTG+1 folds.

Final Pot: t1550
Old 03-11-2005, 12:08 PM

Default Re: am i a coward?

In a heads up pot I certainly think its ok to check behind but even just a small bet (1/3 pot) may work just as well. I think a lot depends on the opponent and stack sizes. If he is the type to bluff then checking behind or making a small bet to try and indicate weakness may be the correct play. If he is a fish that will chase a draw, then you have to make him pay.
Old 03-11-2005, 12:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
In a heads up pot I certainly think its ok to check behind

[/ QUOTE ]

i am first to act; i cannot check behind.
Old 03-11-2005, 12:21 PM

I like it conisidering Villian's stack size. Absent any reads I would immediately consider him more likely to make a loose call in this spot (i.e. any A, gutshot draw, maybe any Q) so I like the bet.

Not to mention, the thought of giving a free card that breaks me (even against a single opp) keeps me up at night.
Old 03-11-2005, 12:33 PM

I assume that you are betting out here with KQ and KK, too, so I think that you have to bet AQ so as to not give away information.
Of course, if you sometimes check fold a hand like KQ after preflop raising and hitting 2nd pair, then you can check here too. Also, if you sometimes checkraise with nothing and have shown it, then you can checkraise here too.
Old 03-11-2005, 01:27 PM

In the absence of a flush draw, yes, I may consider checking. In this particular case i may bet 150-200 hopefully to entice a call. Or how about over betting 1200 to make it appear you do not want to be called?
Old 03-11-2005, 02:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I assume that you are betting out here with KQ and KK, too, so I think that you have to bet AQ so as to not give away information.
Of course, if you sometimes check fold a hand like KQ after preflop raising and hitting 2nd pair, then you can check here too. Also, if you sometimes checkraise with nothing and have shown it, then you can checkraise here too.

[/ QUOTE ]

i understand this kind of thinking in theory, and if were sitting down for a 5-hour cash game i think it would apply. but i'm probably going to play a fairly small number of hands with this guy (and show down a lot fewer) before one of us busts or gets moved.
Old 03-11-2005, 02:22 PM

I guess what I'm saying is that if you are betting out a lot of flops that you raise preflop (and keeping track of if the hands were shown or not) then you should be more likely to fire out here too. If you have been passive (for whatever reason) postflop after preflop raises, then you should be more likely to check here.
Old 03-11-2005, 02:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I guess what I'm saying is that if you are betting out a lot of flops that you raise preflop (and keeping track of if the hands were shown or not) then you should be more likely to fire out here too. If you have been passive (for whatever reason) postflop after preflop raises, then you should be more likely to check here.

[/ QUOTE ]

ok, this phrasing makes more sense (what have you done vs. what would you do). thanks.
Old 03-11-2005, 03:09 PM

i'd probably put in a 1/3 pot bet or check behind. but there's absolutely nothing wrong with taking down the pot right then and there.