Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-11-2005, 01:11 AM

Default jacks preflop Q

10/20 euro game in Vienna, very crazy the main targets being AJo Go all in and Strassar, but besides them everyone else at the table sucks too, except for Daryn who is nitting it up. EP limps, I have JJ in EP. No matter what I do I'm getting action but if I raise from EP I will likely limit the field but still get action if I limp everyone will play. THis game is very loose, tons of action too much calling too much betting. Raise or limp?
Old 03-11-2005, 01:30 AM

Default Re: jacks preflop Q

[ QUOTE ]
if I raise from EP I will likely limit the field but still get action if I limp everyone will play

[/ QUOTE ]

Am I missing something or is this painfully obvious? Are you okay playing hooks out of position into 3-5 other people? Raise, narrow the field as much as possible, get the info you need from whoever is leftover. Seriously, am I missing something? This seems about as standard as it gets.
Old 03-11-2005, 01:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
No matter what I do I'm getting action.

[/ QUOTE ]

queer
Old 03-11-2005, 01:32 AM

Raise. The equity you gain is more than the marginal increase in postflop playing difficulty.

How'd AJo do today?
Old 03-11-2005, 01:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
if I raise from EP I will likely limit the field but still get action if I limp everyone will play

[/ QUOTE ]

Am I missing something or is this painfully obvious? Are you okay playing hooks out of position into 3-5 other people?

[/ QUOTE ]

The other option is to get lots of people in and play them for set value. Your hand will be well-disguised, so you will get paid off handsomely.
Old 03-11-2005, 01:34 AM

Since this is obviously a loose-aggressive game, the EP limp is a certain monster. Muck JJ and wait for a better spot to get your chips in.

-Michael
Old 03-11-2005, 02:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
10/20 euro game in Vienna, very crazy the main targets being AJo Go all in and Strassar, but besides them everyone else at the table sucks too, except for Daryn who is nitting it up. EP limps, I have JJ in EP. No matter what I do I'm getting action but if I raise from EP I will likely limit the field but still get action if I limp everyone will play. THis game is very loose, tons of action too much calling too much betting. Raise or limp?

[/ QUOTE ]

According to HFPFAP you should raise in a tight game and limp in a loose game, ideally you want 1 or 2 opponents for a raise to be correct. He goes on to say the worst case scenario for JJ is when exactly 3 or 4 opponents see the flop with you. This would most likely occur if you called in a tight game or raised in a loose game.
Old 03-11-2005, 03:10 AM

Yeah what I was getting at is what roy_miami just said. But I remember there being some discussions about this and this being disputed. It seems kind of arbitrary to just say 3 or 4 people is the worst number to be against.
Old 03-11-2005, 03:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
It seems kind of arbitrary to just say 3 or 4 people is the worst number to be against.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why? It's pretty easy to see why playing against 5 or more is a better situation, just like it is for any pair. It's fairly easy to see why playing against 1 or 2 is preferrable to 3 or 4 as your hand has a better chance of holding up.
Old 03-11-2005, 03:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
t's fairly easy to see why playing against 1 or 2 is preferrable to 3 or 4 as your hand has a better chance of holding up.

[/ QUOTE ]

this alone doens't make it "better" to be against 1 or 2 no matter what... AA holds up much less vs. 4 players than vs. 1 or 2, but i'd certainly want as many people to put in multiple bets PF as possible when I have AA. Obviously there's a big difference, but i'm just saying that you can't say "it holds up more often", therefore its better. your goal is to win the most $$, not the most pots.