Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-10-2005, 11:28 PM

Default Did everything wrong...

I basically touched on every cliche and mistake you can make as a poker player. A regular 10/20 15/30 BM player, I decided to sit in a 200/400 game. I guess you could call this taking a shot, but it turned out to be more like suicide. I even kept playing when the game fell to four handed. I sat with 10k (basically my whole roll)and couldn't get anything going. I watched ace high take down a couple pots, a few of them myself, and decided that I needed to play super aggressive and fast. Well, that would have been fine if two of the other players weren't 30k plus at that point. I couldn't move anyone off a hand. That would have been great if I was cathing, but who are we kidding??? If I was catching I wouldn't be writing. The only rationale I had was that the fourth player was stuck 20k and only had about 3000 on the table. So somehow my deluded logic of the moment made it seem ok to keep playing. I of course lost all the rest of my money (isn't that how these stories always go) when I flopped K high flush and was rivered by the fourth flush card. I can't even get that upset about it. I know I shouldn't have been at that table, especially since I was the outsider. Everyone else was friends (even a pair of roommates). I don't even know why I'm writing this. Now that I have to start all over I was wondering I guess if anyone could blast me and make me feel even smaller so that I don't sit back down as soon as my bank hits 10k + again. I know atleast one person will reply sarcastically that this is the wrong forum, but I was hoping for some advice from you guys that may have been there before. Thanks for letting me vent.
Old 03-10-2005, 11:36 PM

Default Re: Did everything wrong...

here's what you do, start working night shifts on a delivery truck... the rest will speak for itself

just don't get a really bitchy girlfriend
Old 03-10-2005, 11:46 PM

It's not much, but I do have sympathy for you.
Old 03-10-2005, 11:47 PM

In case this is serious, that sucks. Build your roll the same way you built the first one. Bonus whore, move up through the levels. Sin ceyou know you can beat 10 and 15 games you should take shots at moving up quicker htan you did the first time. For example: get your roll ot 3k, take one 15 buy in and take a shot, if you win keep going until you have a 15 roll.
Old 03-10-2005, 11:51 PM

I am serious. I didn't know that posting that you blew your whole roll because you're stupid as a joke was so popular around here. I only play B&M though, haven't tackled online yet. Guess now prolly isn't the best time to either. Thanks though.
Old 03-10-2005, 11:58 PM

People post ridiculously stupid made up stories here all the time.
Old 03-11-2005, 12:02 AM

I can see that. I wish this was made up, trust me. The worse part is that the illusion that I'm a good player has kinda been beat up a little. Getting my confidence back will be the hardest part. I wonder how often some longtime players go broke ??????
Old 03-11-2005, 12:05 AM

You don't need us to ream you for you not to do it again. I've been there, I learned from my mistake, and I moved on. You'll feel much better in a week. Make a plan to get yourself back on your feet again. Good luck.
Old 03-11-2005, 12:11 AM

When you get back on your feet don't forget to pay back the professor...
Old 03-11-2005, 01:35 AM

I am responding because you sound like a very intelligent guy ... and also because I've been there too.
There's no bashing that will be going on here - most of us have been there.
I remember when I had just started playing. A 19 y.o. know-it-all who thought he could take on 10-20 after 1 mth of playing $10 sit n go's. I lost my entire savings ($13,000) in a matter of months.
Just as usual, I became depressed, angry, and dissapointed in myself.
All that really happened from this was it made me want to be successful that much more. That's when I began studying the game. That's when things turned around.
My best advice for you is to just understand that you made a common mistake. You have to learn from it, move on, and make sure the mistake doesnt happen twice.
Keep your chin up.

Good luck building your way back up.

-KidPokerX