Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: how often do u think about committing suicide?
never 33 42.31%
i have briefly in the past 30 38.46%
occasionally 6 7.69%
monthly 2 2.56%
weekly 2 2.56%
daily 5 6.41%
Voters: 78. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-10-2005, 05:16 PM

Default Waiting...

Old 03-10-2005, 05:24 PM

Default Re: Waiting...

where is the 'look at one when its delt, look at the other when its your turn to act' option?
Old 03-10-2005, 05:34 PM

I always wait for the action to get to me before I look at my cards then click the appropriate button. This way I can get tells. Like if UTG's avatar shifts in it's seat a little... I know I should raise.
Old 03-10-2005, 07:06 PM

technically you should look at the other people looking at they're cards, but if they're dumb enough to physically shift when they get aces you're going to have all their money soon anyway, and it slows the [censored] out of the game.

If i'm in LP i usually have a plan for what i'm going to do for the most likely sequences of action before UTG+1 acts. I like a quick game, any only slow it down if it's +EV.

-JDanz
Old 03-10-2005, 08:27 PM

only complete noobs look at thier cards at any point before showdown...

peace

john nickle
Old 03-10-2005, 09:40 PM

I don't look at my cards till the action is to me, but it has nothing to do with looking for "tells" in my opponents or avoiding them myself. It's an emotion thing, namely disappointment. The best way for me to avoid this emotion in poker is to never have expectation, for without expectation there can be no disappointment. E.g., if I look at my first card and see it's an ace, some part of me, however small or subtle, is going to want the next card to be high as well. This opens myself up for the possibility of negative emotion, but is easily avoided by not looking at them one at a time. Similarly, if I see I have a decent hand in LP, I'm going to "want" to be able to play it, aka. have an expectation. If the action before me is such that the hand is no longer playable, I again open myself up to negative emotion. Some might even become emotionally attached enough that they will incorrectly choose to play their hand anyway. So I wait till the action's on me.

GoT
Old 03-10-2005, 09:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
only complete noobs look at thier cards at any point before showdown...

peace

john nickle

[/ QUOTE ]

You should hang out with Action Bob.

TT [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Old 03-10-2005, 09:53 PM

I see this advice everywhere. Don't look at your cards until the action is on you, get tells! What a load of bullshit. It is wrong for several reasons. It slows down the game. If you look at your cards beforehand you have a better idea of how the hand will play out. I look at the first card when it gets to me, and the second likewise. From that second I am thinking about how the rest of the hand will play out, and how the hand is developing. When the action gets to me I usually know 100% what I'm doing. You can both look at your cards and look at other players! Mindblowing!

Have you ever been at a table where 7 or 8 players look at their cards and figure out what they're going to do when the cards get to them? It's goddamn painful. Contrast that to if everyone looks early and knows whether they're folding, raising, etc, it's much faster.
Old 03-10-2005, 10:03 PM

i usually wait until the action is to me to look. but really i find more tells by watching everyone else watch the flop, and then i check out the board after everyone else.
Old 03-10-2005, 10:07 PM

I probably should reread that chapter in TOP.