Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-10-2005, 06:55 PM

Default 5/10 nut flush draw out of position

I was messing around with the PFR...after he calls the flop, what's my play on the turn? I'm not really sure of any kind of right line out of position. I have no read on him beyond him not getting out of line, but calling a pfr and then calling the flop makes it seem like he must have a pretty big hand. Ideas?

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (6 max, 6 handed) converter

UTG ($2735.75)
Hero ($1066)
CO ($780.75)
Button ($995)
SB ($1521)
BB ($1120.25)

Preflop: Hero is MP with K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $5.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $30</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Button calls $30, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, BB calls $20.

Flop: ($95) 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $75</font>, Button calls $75, BB folds.

Turn: ($245) J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

Final Pot: $245
Old 03-10-2005, 07:16 PM

Default Re: 5/10 nut flush draw out of position

He called 3xbb on the button, he doesn't have to have that big of a hand, and he might reraise with AK. I would probably bet again and hope he doesn't raise. You could try to checkraise the turn though, especially if you've been giving up on the turn a lot.
Old 03-10-2005, 07:44 PM

My thought: bet $125. He'll hopefully lay down any hand that's not beating AK. If he calls, check/fold the river unless you flush. If he raises your turn bet small enough (basically a min-raise) to price you in to your flush draw, call, otherwise I'd have to say fold to a substantial re-raise.

One nice thing about this hand is that if a club falls on the river, he might not suspect your flush. If he's slowplaying aces and a river club comes, you could make a lot of money.

(Disclaimer: I don't play high stakes NL so take all that with a large grain of salt.)
Old 03-10-2005, 07:44 PM

He has position on you -- so as Previcator says, he doesn't need that strong a hand here. Realize also that he didn't raise you on the flop. I don't see him usually having a monster, since the board was so draw heavy. TJ[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] is entirely possible. So is AT.

I think it's read dependent; unfortunately you don't have one. A lot of lines work -- check raising big against a passive player who might have AT or who would call in position to bluff turns; against very aggressive players who view me as I tight I like check call/check call since giving up the turn induces bluffs. On top of that, even if you are behind, you have a lot of outs. 2 outs to open trips; 3 outs to two pair; 9 outs to a flush. Against an unkown that would be my preferred line.
Old 03-10-2005, 09:12 PM

Bet more on the flop, you raised pf so if you bet 100 or 110 he will probably think you have an A. If he still wants to play after that, you are setting yourself up to truly flip it on him if you it your flush. He either folds- you win- or he plays and puts you on an ace he beats, which means he probably won't give you credit for the flush.

I played a hand almost identical to this recently. My opponent flopped a set, I turned the flush, check called and check called all in on the river.