Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-09-2005, 07:17 PM

Default Re: Am I wrong, dude? Am I wrong?

[ QUOTE ]
Isn't the quote "Am I not wrong?"

[/ QUOTE ]

Something like: Are we gonna split hairs here? Am I wrong?
Old 03-09-2005, 07:20 PM

You are wrong to limp UTG with A5. But getting passed that,i don't mind the flop smooth call. On the turn, i think a small bet is in order for a few reasons. If he has a flush or boat, he will raise you allowing to get all in. Make a weak looking bet of $25 might intice a stone cold bluff. Additionally, if he is drawing, you want to to continue to do so. If he hits the river he'll bet it, and if the pot is bigger from the turn bet he is more likely to bluff. Make a small bet of about $25.

Gabe
Old 03-09-2005, 07:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Is a pot building bet absolutely necessary here?

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes, but you should've made a pot-building raise on the flop. That makes value bets even easier for you on the turn/river.

Does SB have a str8/flush draw, overpair, etc. on the flop? Can't say for sure, but the fact that he bets out first on the flop against 3 opponents, on a draw-heavy board, from the worst position, means something. If he check-called, that would be different in my book. But you definitely have to bet on the turn since he already advertised that he's willing to pay a price to defend his hand or see the river card (from how he played the flop). Would be a shame if he could showdown his hand for cheap, or missed his draw on the river if you let him see it for free...
Old 03-10-2005, 04:59 PM

The more I think abou it, raising the flop is a better idea. Most people don't read you for a draw with a flop raise in this game, especially in an unraised pot (people are more likely to make moves like that agaisnt a PFR), and he might make a move when the flush hits on the turn (be it a paired board or not, and whether he had 2 clubs in his hand or not). Plus I got lucky not letting a set/2pair draw to a fully that beats me.

Funny thing is, this isn't the first time that I've smooth called the flop with a made str8 and flush draw to see the turn pair the board and say "crap! oh wait, i have a straight flush!!"