Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-10-2005, 10:53 AM

Default changing focus (low content)

Lately, I feel as if my game needs a change. It seems like I am losing too many big pots that I get tied to with marginal/good but not great hands. I am thinking of changing the focus of my starting hands. RIght now I play tight/weak preflop but more aggro post flop. I play pretty much ABC poker and do pretty well, but i think i could do better. One of my buddy's, who is a very good player, suggested I try replacing hands such as KQo, KJo, QJo and other unsuited broadway other than AK/AQ of course, with hands such as 78s, 9Js, 910s, 67s and so on. In position, I will raise these hands and auto-fire the flop if checked to me. Also preflop, showing some of these raised hands would probably get me action when I look at AA/KK/QQ also. Therefore changing the focus of my postflop play. Instead of focusing on big pairs with good kickers, which I am uncomfortable playing big pots with anyways, I will focus on straights and flushes. Obviously I will still play PP for set value and big PP the same way I currently do. I figure that this is NL, and I'm trying to win money, not pots. Playing hands like these, I will be comfortable playing big pots and have big pairs dominated. I also will be able to dump these hands on the flop easy if things heat up and I miss. Is this a good thing to try or is this just stupid.

I also play limit, which I will keep my "regular" style for because these hands won't get paid.

Insight or suggestions from the ballers appreciated.
Old 03-10-2005, 11:11 AM

Default Re: changing focus (low content)

If you are not playing suited connectors in limit you are playing too tight there too. with hands such as 78s, 9Js, 910s, 67s you should be playing these in LP on most low limit tables and from mp on loose passive ones.

Cant really comment on NL as just learning this too.
Old 03-10-2005, 11:44 AM

I'm not sure you should be shifting focus or replacing hands with other types of hands preflop.

Let's say you replace KQo and the likes with 78s. Obviously you will only be playing these in LP and unraised pot. You say the goal of this is to focus on straights and flushes, because you are uncomfortable with big pairs. I hope i'm interpreting your post right.

IMO, this doesn't change anything. Why are you uncomfortable playing big pairs? Because you might be dominated? Because you're scared of being outdrawn? This will not change. SC's will give you more flushes and straights, but it will never be the nut flush and it won't be the nut straight too often either. So the domination problems remain. Also, straights and flushes can be outdrawn just like big pairs...

I'm more uncomfortable playing a jack high flush than a pair of kings with a queen kicker. There's nothing more uncomfortable (for me) than playing non-nut straights and flushes in big pots. And that's exactly what SC's will bring you.

I don't think preflop play is you biggest problem. Any strategy site can give you decent starting hand recommendations. Follow them and you won't be that far from optimal. Focus on postflop play.

Don't be afraid of top pair, good kicker, because it will make you money. Don't focus on straights and flushes, because you will start chasing. Draw when you have odds. Bet when you're ahead.

Good Luck
Old 03-10-2005, 12:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm more uncomfortable playing a jack high flush than a pair of kings with a queen kicker. There's nothing more uncomfortable (for me) than playing non-nut straights and flushes in big pots. And that's exactly what SC's will bring you.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is kind of ridiculus, isn't it? I would take a non nut str8/flush over a big pair in a big pot any day of the week. I'm not wrong here, am I? Just seems like at these levels players can almost never get away from TPGK and can never get away from TPTK. WIth straights and flushes, I can easily break these players...
Old 03-10-2005, 12:35 PM

I don't think it's ridiculous. If I could attempt to answer for BearHustler, maybe he means something more like he's more uncomfortable when playing the jack-high flush and facing significant resistance on a non-paired board then he would be when playing a pair of kings with a queen kicker (and facing bets or raises) on a no-straight, no-flush, no-pair board.

If he means something like that then I definitely see what he's getting at.
Old 03-10-2005, 12:35 PM

What i mean is that TPGK is not harder to play than a flush or straight. If there's a flush draw on the board and you get too much action, you drop it. But dropping a jack high flush isn't that easy at all.

You are right that you prefer a jack high flush over top pair in a big pot. But that's not what i ment. Anyway, TPGK wasn't ment to win the monster pots, but it will make you money nevertheless.
Old 03-10-2005, 03:29 PM

bump for the afternoon pros.