Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-02-2003, 04:01 PM

Default Re: Dumbest play you made in 2002?

A bonehead play that turned out great:

10-20 Hold'em. Solid, but a bit of a rock, player raises in early position. I had put my cards on top of each other and looked at the bottom one, a King. Shuffled them around to look at the other one which was now on the bottom, another King. Pockets Kings. Folded to me I 3-bet. Folded to him he 4-bet. I called. With this player that hand screamed AA for him to 4-bet out of position.

Flop: K-x-x, he bets, I call
Turn: K-x-x-x, he bets, I call again
River: K-x-x-x-3, he bets, I raise, he calls disgustingly and shows AA

I say: "I have a set of Kings" and turn over my cards. Then I look down and don't know what to say, my KK turned into K3-off and I thought I was toast. Then the dealer says: "Kings and 3's", mucks the AA and pushes me the pot. Mean while my opponent turns red from anger and I turn red from embarrassment. Obviously my shuffling needs some work. That was the last time I looked at a pair without checking to make sure.
Old 01-02-2003, 04:24 PM

Ok - there were many incredibly stupid plays over my first full year of poker - but this is my favorite.

I'm playing $9/$18 at Commerce. Loose Aggressive open raises from the button. I three bet with a K4 offsuit from the Big Blind. He four bets, I call. The flop comes A78 rainbow. I checkraise figuring to represent the ace. He three bets. I call. Turn is a Q making a flush draw possible (but not for me). Again, I checkraise. He three bets and I call???

The river completes the flush with a low card. For the last time, I checkraise my King high! He three bets. I think for a little while. Not sure what I was actually thinking, but I did take some time and then four bet him! He thought for a while and called.

I then tabled my King high (in case it was good). He looked very surprised at my cards and turned over his pocket aces.

It is the only time I successfully checkraised someone on all streets. I remember spending the rest of the night trying to calculate exactly how much money I lost on this hand and how many hours of play it would take to get it all back.

[img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

soda
Old 01-02-2003, 05:38 PM

Location: seattle!!!__ too sunny to be in a cardroom....ahhh, one more hand
Default Re: Looking for flush, missed straight

i did that twice....long ago...

on one of em....it was much like yours....except i hit the str8 on the river....went to showdown, and guy says, 2 pair. i mucked....someone called to see my hand...the dealer flipped it, and a collective gasp was at the table...i notice the dealer looking at me with a sorry look, and i look down to see the nuts that i mucked...

added insult, this old craggy bitch smokin a coffin nail, takes time off her drag to say loudly in a raspy voice, "dont ya know how to play Poker!"

i wanted to crawl under the table...

b
Old 01-02-2003, 05:52 PM

Location: seattle!!!__ too sunny to be in a cardroom....ahhh, one more hand

this was an enjoyable thread...im not even close to taking home the trophy as i thought....woo hoo!!!

very theraputic thread at that...makes ya remember, if youre good, other good players screw up just as bad if not worse....

really refreshing to read this thread...

i think many struggling new players would do well to read this thread...should take the pressure off them that they dont 'have' to play flawless or else burn in eternity for a screw up....

life goes on...and youre not alone...

ciao

b
Old 01-02-2003, 07:51 PM

I looked at my hand and the board about three times during the raising war and kept seeing that I had the nuts. Then at some point (perhaps after about 10 bets), I just assumed that my opponent was some kind of nut and just kept raising till he went all in.

There was indeed a nut involved in the hand...and it wasn't him.

Yeah...I never thought it could happen to me....

Terrence Chan (an RGP regular and very good player) was at the table. I was stuck a little more than a rack after this hand (the session had just started). Terrence says to me that "I'll take 4:1 odds that you will get even at some point within the next five hours." I declined the bet.

He started a thread on RGP on this proposition bet that has some good mathematical analysis by the likes of Tom Weideman etc.

The thread is entitled "Proposition Bet" and was posted on RGP by Terrence on August 11, 2002. I don't know how to put up a link.
Old 01-02-2003, 08:10 PM

Playing 8-16 at Bellagio this summer (I can only recall the basics of the hand).

I have something like AJs and end up heads up with one other player who is providing most of the action in the game. I flop two pair on a board of something like AJ6 and I bet he calls. The turn is a K and I checkraise him and he 3 bets and I 4bet and he calls. The river is another K and he bets and I call on the board of AKKJ6. He shows QJ and I muck, misreading his hand for KQ. It wasn't so much the misread as the rest of the table trying to figure out what the hell hand I could have had to 4-bet the turn and call the river, and not be able to beat a dry Jack.

That was, to put it mildly, the last hand of my session.
Old 01-02-2003, 10:32 PM

You reminded me of my dumbest, or one of my dumbest plays of the year.

Heads up on the river, I have AA with position. The board on the turn was K 5 2 2, I'm as sure as I can be that my opponent has a K with a face card kicker.

The river is a J, he bets into me and I make a crying call. He shows KJ for Kings up and I fold my Aces up.

Like you, I realized what I was doing before I even let go of the cards, but coudln't stop the mucking motion fast enough.

I don't know if it was my dumbest play, but it bothered me more than anything else I've ever done on the poker table.
Old 01-03-2003, 08:09 AM

Playing 4-8 at Diamond Lil's in Renton, WA waiting for the A game. I have A [img]/forums/images/icons/heart.gif[/img] 3 [img]/forums/images/icons/heart.gif[/img] on the button in seat 8. Six limpers to me, I raise (to take odds), seat 5 three-bets, I cap.

Flop is: X [img]/forums/images/icons/heart.gif[/img] 2 [img]/forums/images/icons/club.gif[/img] 2 [img]/forums/images/icons/diamond.gif[/img].

Diamond Lil's tables are larger than what I'm used to, and this particular table is near the buffet and is poorly lit. Therefore, I misread both of the deuces as threes.

Action: Seat 5 and I cap the flop, and we're heads-up.

Turn is: X [img]/forums/images/icons/heart.gif[/img]

Action: Seat 5 bets and I raise.

River is: blank

Action: Seat 5 checks to me, I bet. He calls.

I exclaim, "send it--three threes!" I roll my hand over--and realize that I have ace-high with a f-in 3 kicker! The whole table bursts out laughing. Seat five yells, "get it fixed!" and shows A [img]/forums/images/icons/spade.gif[/img] A [img]/forums/images/icons/club.gif[/img]. As advertised. [img]/forums/images/icons/blush.gif[/img]

It's OK--I went on to win $500 in the 8-16 game. Better lighting on that table. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 01-03-2003, 01:05 PM

This whole thread has been very educational. I haven't been playing long and it really drives home the point that you have to take a good long look at your cards before proceeding with the hand. You don't want to have to check them during the hand, like if four diamonds are on board and you're checking to see if you have one, players will know why you're checking.

Also, sometimes at the game I play in, we say what we have before we roll our hand over, and the opponent has to ask what the kicker is instead of just looking at my rolled hand. We should stop doing that and instead just roll the hand when it gets called.
Old 01-03-2003, 02:13 PM

Great Thread

My stupidest play is in a very loose home game, 7 stud hilo declare, with a bet after the declare.

I miss my flush draw on 7th street, but with two weak pair, decide to try and bluff.

Player A to my right, leading, has been pumping the pot the whole way with three low cards. However, he will bet his board regardless of his hand. Player B, behind me, is showing a pair of kings. He's calling all the action, despite my attempts to run him off.

I decide to go low with my Jack, as I'm sure the Kings have me beat.

We all go low. Aargh!!!

Player A checks!!!! In my disgust, I muck. Player B checks.

Player A takes it down with a Queen low!!!

In a 5-10 game, there was well over $300 in this pot.

If there's one thing I've learned from reading these posts, is to recheck your hands. And don't muck when checked to you. Let other people read your hand.

Manku