Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-10-2005, 02:34 AM

Default Who calls this?

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (6 max, 5 handed) converter

MP ($41.1)
Button ($27.28)
SB ($26.05)
BB ($17.95)
Hero ($24.15)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $0.1.
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $1</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Button calls $27.28 (All-In), <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Hero...

Guy has been sitting for a couple orbits and hasn't really done much of anything. My first reaction was that he was full of [censored], but he has been pretty tight in the 20 or so hands I've seen him, and has only raised once preflop so far.

I don't play much 6 max, but QQ is pretty much a monster 5 handed right?
Old 03-10-2005, 03:11 AM

Default Re: Who calls this?

What range of hands do you put your opponent on?

If it is JJ-AA, AKs or AKo, fold.

If the range includes the above plus 99-TT, AQs or worse, call.

Burno
Old 03-10-2005, 03:34 AM

I call / fold this depending on my gambooooling mood.
Old 03-10-2005, 03:53 AM

He's sat for 20 hands, played 5 of them, raised once, and not shown down anything, how exactly am I to put him on a range of hands?
Old 03-10-2005, 05:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
He's sat for 20 hands, played 5 of them, raised once, and not shown down anything, how exactly am I to put him on a range of hands?

[/ QUOTE ]

You don't have the chart? [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

It's an imperfect science. You can only go on the limited information available to you. But you can observe your opponents play, make notes about their skill, style, habits, and mood and deduce a surprising amount of info.

Your description makes the villain sound fairly tight, evidence towards a fold since he now has a fairly limited hand range. But if I saw something in his postflop play that made me think he was a weak player, I may still call.

Suppose 5 hands earlier I had observed the villain limp with AT, and then check raised on the T high flop all in, a massive overbet, say 8 times the pot. A player who makes this play will make similiar clownish plays like pushing with AQs or TT over a small raise, thinking they're best and hoping to take it down right there. It's just a play weak players make. So even with your tight description, if I observed something along these lines I would call.

Hope that makes sense,

Burno