Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-09-2005, 05:52 AM

Default Re: AK Hand

Checking behind on the turn is correct here in my opinion. If you are ahead, you are likely way ahead, if you are behind, you are not catching up with TPTK. By checking, you are keeping the pot small. On the river, you induce a bluff from a weaker ace (or worse), and you lose the least when you are behind the set, straight, etc. This is the correct line.
Old 03-09-2005, 06:44 AM

I agree with this line of thought
Old 03-09-2005, 08:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You just picked up a good draw to the nuts.

[/ QUOTE ]

You have misread his hand.

[/ QUOTE ]
Damnit, that's twice in a row I've messed up reading the initial post. Anyways, the rest of my post was right. Blah. Thanks.
Old 03-09-2005, 12:06 PM

Holy sh*t...
I posted this hand because I believe it is 100% the correct line against a breathing opponent.

My flop bet (2/3 pot) to keep Ace-trash in is smooth called on a bone dry board which means I'm either way ahead or miles behind. Frankly I'm not sure which although the former is far more likely statistically. (78s is a possibility but probably leads a good percentage of the time)

Turn makes 78 a semi-hidden straight and its checked to me. I want to keep the pot small with my TPTK so I check it through. To those who advocate a bet, what do you make it? Potting it is retarded b/c the only hand that calls you has you crushed. Betting 1/2 pot is questionable because then I've shown weakness on 2 straight streets and am begging to be C/R by anything.

There aren't too many cards I'm afraid of on the river so I check, the river blanks (sort of) and I'm calling any reasonable bet as I've induced a bluff from a weaker hand by showing weakness. (my line really looks like JJ or TT)

Anyway, not sure why everyone is so keen on betting in such a way that defines their hand perfectly. I posted this because I was curious about the responses I'd get, not because I f*cked it up. Hopefully it generates some more good discussion.

Villain tabled QQ (bizarre)
Old 03-09-2005, 01:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why do you raise that much? 15xBB looks insane to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

BB is 0.25, SB is 0.1, so he raised 6xBB
Old 03-09-2005, 10:17 PM

When I say "bet big" I don't mean move all in. What I mean is that you should bet anywhere between the size of the pot and one and a half times the size of the pot. This forces him to pay if he's drawing to a straight and also forces him to make a tough decision if he has a hand like A-Q through A-10 and wants to get to a cheap showdown. You're probably ahead - make him make a tough decision. If he folds, that's okay too. I'm happy taking small pots when I have it because it makes it more likely that I can pick up some pots when I don't but bet the same way. You might even consider showing him the AK after he folds to set him up later on. BTW Soah, I appreciate the criticism of my post because I really want to improve my game. Thank you for being frank.
Old 03-09-2005, 10:46 PM

First of all, you're not charging a straight draw with a turn bet. The straight already hit on the turn. The straight draw has made the nuts now and will gladly take your stack when you overplay your one pair. Secondly, if someone is on a draw and misses, then they will usually only hit on the river about one time in five (unless it's a monster draw). Overbetting the pot here serves no purpose unless your opponents are actually horrible enough to call you. A much smaller bet is still sufficient to shut them out. But in this hand, there is no plausible draw that our opponent could have on the turn.

As for other made hands, the absolute last thing we want to do is face them with a huge bet when we have top pair. They will fold many hands which are drawing very thin and take your stack with hands that beat you. The actual results to this hand show exactly why you should be checking the turn. If you bet big on the turn, QQ will fold unless he's a complete moron. By checking you gain an extra pot-sized bet 95% of the time when your hand holds up, and lose the pot 5% of the time. You make much more money this way than by letting him get away on the turn. And if your opponent has flopped a set, then you lose less money by checking the turn. So you win more money when you're ahead, and save money when you're behind.