Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-09-2005, 01:47 AM

Default very strange AA hand from SB

i was going for a c/r on the flop to protect. should i have just bet out? i hate having strong hands from EP!

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (8 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is SB with A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. CO posts a blind of $1. MP1 posts a blind of $1.
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP1 (poster) checks, MP2 calls, <font color="#CC3333">CO (poster) raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG calls, MP1 calls, MP2 folds, <font color="#CC3333">CO caps</font>, Hero calls, UTG calls, MP1 calls.

Flop: (18 SB) K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
Hero checks, UTG checks, MP1 checks, CO checks.

Turn: (9 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG folds, MP1 folds, CO folds.

Final Pot: 10 BB
Old 03-09-2005, 01:52 AM

Default Re: very strange AA hand from SB

No one will fold a flush draw. But it'll be horrible to give a free card here. I think playing this hand straight up is the best move. Just lead the flop, and play from there.
Old 03-09-2005, 01:56 AM

With you 3-betting before the flop, the possiblity of making the C/R is diminished. You are probably better off betting out rather than risking a free card.
Old 03-09-2005, 03:14 AM

Checking that flop after 3-betting preflop is extremely sketchy. It screams KK.
Old 03-09-2005, 03:18 AM

He was capped preflop, so I wouldn't say it "screams" KK anymore than it could be JJ or QQ. Against some opponents this might be the correct play some of the time, but I want to be 100% sure that he'll bet based on some past history with him. 90+% of the time I'm betting out.
Old 03-09-2005, 03:31 AM

I think what he's saying is, my checking made it look like I had KK, so they were afraid of a set and checked behind, fearing I was mistakenly slowplaying. Right?
Old 03-09-2005, 04:20 AM

My advise is much different. You probably have the best hand after the flop. If someone has the flush draw you aren't going to make them fold for one small bet (they are getting 18 to 1 to call). This in no way protects your hand. If you bet out and two opponents call there are now 10 big bets in the pot and betting out on the turn won't chase them out either. If you check and call the flop then you can go for a check-raise on the turn if a safe card hits. Now your opponents are getting 5 to 1 with one card to come.

An opponent with a flush draw won't care if you have KK and a player with a K won't think you have KK so checking isn't what caused your opponents to fold.
Old 03-09-2005, 11:17 AM

I see where you were going with the c/r. I think betting out here would've been okay too. A c/r isn't going to protect you against any draws so might as well guarantee $ going in.
Old 03-09-2005, 01:07 PM

Why would we want to try to check-raise the flop to protect our hand? No flush draw is folding, and there don't appear to be any gut-shots possible. We may fold some backdoor flush draws, but they are likely calling thin anyways.

Bet the flop for value, and hope that you are raised, so you can 3-bet.
Old 03-09-2005, 01:35 PM

Bet the flop.