Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-09-2005, 01:17 AM

Default Re: Outsourcing Poker

If a guy had access to 3rd world PhD's he would do much better by teaching them how to scalp/middle sporting events and putting them in front of the Don Best ticker.
Old 03-09-2005, 04:11 PM

Was only a matter of time before someone came up with the Poker Sweatshop idea [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Maybe Kathy-Lee is looking for a new investment idea [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]
Old 03-10-2005, 04:10 AM

Americans are truly NOTION-LESS
I mean, who can believe that someone with a PHD or a math-genious will work for 100$ a month.

Here in Brazil, 100$ a month is minimum wage, and that's what people on the simplest professions make (public bathroom janitor, heavy duty construction workers, etc).

A janitor at a school would make a bit more than $200 i guess.

A entry-level intern (typist, office-boy) earns about 200 as well.
A PhD in math would make at least $1200 a month.. at LEAST.

By the way, I think less than 0,1% of the population or 1 in 1000 has a PhD

Thailand must be about 70% of what people here make.
Old 03-10-2005, 06:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
This has it about right.
"Lets take take some of the smartest people in the world and dupe them. They may real clever and well educated but they're from the 3rd world and I'm American so it'll be a cakewalk."
What's wrong with this picture.
As for you tutoring them, it'll probably take them a couple of days work on their own for them to surpass you.
Old 03-10-2005, 06:33 AM

I've wondered about the possibilities for these countries using poker systematically as a way of sucking in some cash from abroad. It'd likely be peanuts compared to the cash generated by industry.

Still I wonder just how good at poker a state sponsored team could get. I'm thinking of the Soviet era chess programs.

The quality of poker has never been pushed as far as chess or other sports. It's held back by being individulistic and has too much emphasis placed on finding weaker opponents rather than improving your game.
Old 03-10-2005, 08:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I am English, not American.

[ QUOTE ]
By the way, I think less than 0,1% of the population or 1 in 1000 has a PhD

[/ QUOTE ]

Less than 0.1% of the population has a PhD... your probably right, but when the population in India is 1 BILLION PEOPLE, that's still quite a few people to pick from.

[ QUOTE ]
I mean, who can believe that someone with a PHD or a math-genious will work for 100$ a month.

[/ QUOTE ]

Here is a quote from an article I found.... 'the average wage in India is about Ģ300 a year compared with more than Ģ20,000 in Britain'
So the average wage is US$50 a month.
The average wage in Brazil is apparently, US$179/month, so your fellow country men earn more than 3 times that of someone who lives in India. So going by the fact you say someone with a maths PhD would earn at least $1200 a month, then you could probably get away with $350-400 a month in India.
Does anyone know if they have benefits for job seekers in India? I expect the answer to this will be no (couldn't find it on goggle), which is why I expect you could quite easily keep someone in this job. If they have a family to feed, they will keep working. While the western world may be able to bum around claiming benefits if they decide they cant be bothered to work for such pittance, other countries don't have the privilege. I expect they are also not so kind on people going bankrupt, which is why I still think theoretically this would work.
Old 03-10-2005, 02:03 PM

Just because the GENERAL average of people is 1/3 of Brazil (wich is not, because minimum wage here is under 100$) you assume that the average of PHDs will also be at the same proportion?!?!?!?!
What kind of false-logic is that?
Couldnt the "average wage" be lower because there are LESS PHDs (in relation to the total population size). But the few PHDs on India may well earn even MORE then brazilian ones (due to the lack of supply on the supply/demmand scale).
Old 03-11-2005, 07:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Just because the GENERAL average of people is 1/3 of Brazil (wich is not, because minimum wage here is under 100$)

[/ QUOTE ]

Now who has the false logic? Your average wage IS more than 3 times that of India's average wage, look it up on google. Just because your MINIMUM wage is under $100 doesn't mean your average isn't $179. The Minimum wage in India is nearer to $25 a month (still getting more than 3 times aren't you).

[ QUOTE ]
Couldnt the "average wage" be lower because there are LESS PHDs (in relation to the total population size). But the few PHDs on India may well earn even MORE then brazilian ones (due to the lack of supply on the supply/demmand scale).

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree that you cannot just assume the same ratio of wages between two countries to be the same for the educated and uneducated, I was just using this as a guide, but to think that they would earn MORE, is just absurd.

India has the biggest outsourcing economy in the world, you think they have this by having an uneducated work force? You think that countries like England would outsource to India if the educated work force costs MORE than other countries? India is the biggest outsourcing country in the world because it has a cheap, well educated work force.

You want to talk about the supply demand scale? There isn't a small number of well educated people who employers are offering absurd wages to, in order to entice them to work, there is a very large number of well educated people, who are willing to cut their wages in order to get a job. The supply exceeds the demand.
Old 04-05-2005, 12:04 AM

Regarding Thailand, donīt forget that playing cards are strictly forbidden, and you will have to bribe the police with a substantial amount to keep you and your workers out of jail [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 04-05-2005, 10:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You would probly have to make them sign contracts to play a certain number of years because after awhile they'd be smart enough to figure out that its more profitable to just play for themselves.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't forget this is India and Thailand we're talking about. At the slightest inssurection you always have the option of beating your employees with a rattan cane.

[/ QUOTE ]

thailand phds dont make <100/month