Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-08-2005, 03:09 PM

Default Re: Poker and School

They don't tend to ask specifically for a GPA, but if you provide a school transcript proving you have whatever degree you claim, then it will be on there. Also, I think it only really matters for the first job.
Old 03-08-2005, 03:13 PM

I'm making an assumption on what kind of job an ivy leager would be looking at, and also the likelyhood of needing post-grad in today's job market.

-JDanz
Old 03-08-2005, 03:18 PM

I totally agree with this method. When I was in high school, they had a speaker come in and said that this was a great way to get through college. I didn't really employ this until I matured in my junior year in college. I get so much more stuff done and it leaves me time to do stuff I wanna do.
Old 03-08-2005, 03:21 PM

Discipline is everything, in normal life, as in poker. Good luck with school [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

// steff1 @ pokerprat norwegian forum
Old 03-08-2005, 05:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i think i am very lucky that i didn't discover poker until after college.

[/ QUOTE ]

Right, because you were too busy in college playing bridge.
Old 03-08-2005, 06:24 PM

Last semester I played far to much poker and my grades took a big hit because of it. This semester I have forced myself to do all my homework before I can start playing. If I have tests during the week I force myself not to play any poker until the tests are finished. I have realized that being premed and playing excessive amounts of poker don't mix.

This is hard as hell to do, but it's +EV in the long term. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 03-08-2005, 06:40 PM

Location: duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem (mets are 9-13, currently on a 1 game winning streak)

I don't go to class. it makes things easier
Old 03-08-2005, 07:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't go to class. it makes things easier

[/ QUOTE ]

This may work for some, but not for the majority. There is a reason that student help centre's and professor's tell you to go to class.
Old 03-08-2005, 08:30 PM

I feel for all the students out there. I'm a second year law student in a very rigorous dual-degree program. I've also got a wife and a 3 year old, and spend my afternoons (and alot of my evenings) as a research assistant/clerk for a firm in town.

I've been studying poker for about 6 or 8 months. The weeks I get more than 6 hours total to play (read: practice) are few and far between.

As much as I enjoy poker, and really want to get better, I just don't have the time to REALLY buckle down and study the good books. Law school will only last another two years (because of the dual-degree program), and I know that one day I'll have time to read, study, and practice poker. At that time, it'll be easier to enjoy because I will know I'm not slacking off of something more important.

-Zak
Old 03-09-2005, 12:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I have realized that being premed and playing excessive amounts of poker don't mix.
[img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Just wait til residency. College will become a vague, but fondly remembered dream of free-time and flops--poker and otherwise.

SF