Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-08-2005, 08:24 PM

Default Just read the NL of SS2, should I actually play like that???

I am a totrl NL beginner, just played a few thousand hands so far and down a few BB. Just read Doyle's section of SS2 and it is about the exact opposite of how I have been told to play by some people here. I have been playing tight and am not sure what to think of Doyle's advice.

Seems reckless yet like he says I am sure he gets plenty of action with his style. Thoughts on how his style would do at the lower level Party buy ins?
Old 03-08-2005, 10:55 PM

Default Re: Just read the NL of SS2, should I actually play like that???

a lot of what he says will not work in ssnl. those huge semibluffs are profitable because of the folding equity and in ssnl, there are too many players who like to call. so you just have to pick your spots carefully against the right people. he even says in his book that against weaker players you very often need to be able to show them a hand to win.
Old 03-09-2005, 02:34 PM

Default Re: Just read the NL of SS2, should I actually play like that???

In my opinion, the SS2 advice is just about dead on for a 6-max/shorthanded NL game. Tight/aggressive up front, loose/aggressive in the back, hammer at most pots that you raised or that are checked to you, whether you hit the flop or not.

Key for me was the advice to keep the pot small with big pocket pairs. If someone's calling a pot-size bet on the flop or betting into you after you've raised pre-flop, they often have you beat.

Just my two cents,
-Freeze