Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-08-2005, 02:10 PM

Default Re: 7 stud hi lo

What the hell are you talking about? On 4th street, our Hero here is most likely the favorite. On 5th street, he is probably a HUGE favorite.

If you're going to fold hands like this on 4th street against a 6-J, you shouldn't be playing this game.

Mike
Old 03-08-2005, 05:07 PM

I would rather have 5532 in a heads-up pot than in a multi-way pot. To be sure, I would rather have it heads-up against J6o than in a mult-way pot with about anything. In a multi-way pot, you are likely to be behind in both directions. In this scenario, you are definitely ahead for low, and may well be ahead for high. If he has only a three-card low or a three-card flush, his hand is terrible, and I think that this accounts for a large percentage of possible third-street limping hands. If he has a higher pair, you're not far behind at all. You're only a slight money dog, and if it comes down good on fifth, as it did in this case, you'll be a decent favorite.

Woody Hayes used to say, "when you throw a forward pass, three things can happen, and two of them are bad." And yet football teams persist in throwing forward passes. Why?

1) The three possibilities are not equally likely.

2) The various consequences of these outcomes aren't equivalent.

The forward pass is usually +EV.

Now in this case, you left out another possibility, which is that you catch a banana on fifth and fold to the other guy's bet. If you scoop, this is wonderful. Scooping is where the profit is. If you end up chopping, life goes on. You've risked a few bucks to win a few cents, but that's an occupational hazard. If the other guy scoops and it ends up costing you a few bets, that's bad, obviously. I think that this is the least likely of the four scenarios. On balance, fourth street is a profitable spot, especially against a player as loose as this opponent. I think that in hands where it is played to the end and most or all of the streets are bet, 5532 will scoop more often than whatever the other guy is holding,
Old 03-08-2005, 10:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
To clarify, I would have called 3rd and folded 4th. I LOVE this hand WITH players but I don't like it heads up with only an ante invested. Best case senario, you scoop and win his bets. Two other senarios, you tie and win .05 or miss and lose all.

[/ QUOTE ]