Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-08-2005, 01:19 AM

Default pp NL 25, nut straight gets iffy

The SB is playing pretty loose and not raising much pre-flop, but he's not a COMPLETE wimp after the flop.

MP1 seems somewhat tight and is raising a lot pre-flop, but hasn't been at the table long.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ Hero (9 handed) converter

Button ($24.65)
SB ($21.75)
Hero ($21.1)
UTG ($39.5)
UTG+1 ($26.1)
MP1 ($24.5)
MP2 ($24.3)
MP3 ($6)
CO ($44.37)

Preflop: Hero is BB with K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $0.1.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls $0.25, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 raises to $0.5</font>, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, SB (poster) calls $0.40, Hero calls $0.25, UTG+1 calls $0.25.

Flop: ($2) J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks, UTG+1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets $1</font>, SB calls $1, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $2</font>, UTG+1 folds, MP1 calls $1, SB calls $1.

Turn: ($8) Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $2</font>, MP1 calls $2, SB calls $2.

River: ($14) 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets $2</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises to $4</font>, Hero folds, MP1 calls $2.

Final Pot: $22

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
MP1 has Kd 9d (straight, king high).
SB has 2d Qh (two pair, queens and nines).
Outcome: MP1 wins $22. </font>

I was thinking that there was a VERY good chance I was getting half the pot, and maybe AK or a boat. I certainly would've called down that last $2, but when the SB re-rasied, that makes it a much greater chance I'm beat, and I'm very worried about what MP1 will now do behind me.

I'm thinking my only mistake here may have been too weak a bet on the turn. Am I right?

14 hands later, MP1 from the above hand is now the button. He's starting to look a little fishy.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (9 handed) converter

UTG+1 ($29.8)
MP1 ($18.3)
MP2 ($10.15)
Hero ($14.35)
CO ($24)
Button ($35.15)
SB ($27.15)
BB ($22.8)
UTG ($44.02)

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $0.1.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls $0.25, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $2</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Button calls $2, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, UTG+1 folds.

Flop: ($4.60) 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $3.5</font>, Button calls $3.50.

Turn: ($11.60) 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Button calls $8.85.

River: ($20.45) J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

Final Pot: $20.45

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
Hero has Qc Qh (one pair, queens).
Button has 4d 4h (three of a kind, fours).
Outcome: Button wins $20.45. </font>

Too aggressive?
Old 03-08-2005, 01:45 AM

Default Re: pp NL 25, nut straight gets iffy

Hand 1

Raise more on the flop if you are going to check raise. I would have probably lead at this flop.

Bet the turn harder. 1/4 of the pot is weak. I'd bet 3/4 of the pot. If someone has AK, I'm going to have to see it since I put in that healthy flop raise.

The hand would've played itself with this line.

Hand 2

I think you played this hand well, and I think losing your small stack is unavoidable with this flop. FWIW, villain made a costly error calling your $2 preflop with your stack size.

No reason not to have a full stack at the start of the hand.

Burno
Old 03-08-2005, 02:22 AM

Thanks for the reply. I'm new to NL (although I've played a ton of limit and I've read Harrington's book).

My check-raise was small, but I guess I was just trying to get as many callers as possible since I flopped the nuts. Are you suggesting a bigger raise because it will often get called at these loose tables or just to limit the field?
Old 03-08-2005, 05:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]

My check-raise was small, but I guess I was just trying to get as many callers as possible since I flopped the nuts. Are you suggesting a bigger raise because it will often get called at these loose tables or just to limit the field?

[/ QUOTE ]

What we're trying to do is get a good sum of money in while we hold the nuts [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] . Min-check-raising tips the strength of your hand while getting very little additional money in the pot.

It's my opinion that a fastplay is mandatory on this board. Not only because you will likely get action b/c of the board cards and the quality of the opposition, but because any 7,8, 9, T, J, Q, or K is likely to slow the action down considerably. That's nearly half the deck.

Another consideration for fastplaying is that it removes difficult river decisions. You are often all in or pot committed on the turn, eliminating any guessing games on the river.

Burno