View Poll Results: hmmm
You suck at poker 4 19.05%
You're ok at poker 10 47.62%
You are freaking awsome, my first born will be Sponger 4 19.05%
You just post difficult hands, can't tell 3 14.29%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-07-2005, 06:14 PM

Default Re: AJo UTG

could be. I don't do well with with flopped overcards so I try to avoid them if possible. If I played I would definitely play it for a raise. On the other hand I will play KQo off with a raise here. Wonder if that makes any sense...

-m
Old 03-07-2005, 06:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Interesting. To me TT is significantly stronger than AJo. If there's a raise right in front of me, I 3-bet with TT (talking about party .5/1 here).

[/ QUOTE ]

Well yes, I'd rather have TT than AJo any day. I was just arguing against your explanation of not raising AJo because you may be up against a better hand.
Old 03-07-2005, 06:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
On the other hand I will play KQo off with a raise here. Wonder if that makes any sense...

[/ QUOTE ]
Not really.

It's not a huge error folding this, but it's a better idea to learn how and when to play it UTG than it is to just fold it and never learn.

Rob
Old 03-07-2005, 06:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
could be. I don't do well with with flopped overcards so I try to avoid them if possible. If I played I would definitely play it for a raise. On the other hand I will play KQo off with a raise here. Wonder if that makes any sense...

-m

[/ QUOTE ]

If you are releaseing AJo becasue you are not confident in your postflop game, then that is a very wise move. But now that your'e here at 2+2, it's time to work on that postlfop game, where all the $ is.

[img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 03-07-2005, 06:24 PM

You're a lot more likely to be against a bigger Ace than a bigger pocket pair. Anyway, I don't expect there to be a bigger Ace, but I'd like to know if I am. So many fish will just cold call with AQ or AK, and not reraise.
Old 03-07-2005, 06:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You're a lot more likely to be against a bigger Ace than a bigger pocket pair. Anyway, I don't expect there to be a bigger Ace, but I'd like to know if I am. So many fish will just cold call with AQ or AK, and not reraise.

[/ QUOTE ]

Against TT:

AA - 6 ways
KK - 6 ways
QQ - 6 ways
JJ - 6 ways

Against AJ -
AK - 12 ways
AQ - 12 ways

Care to retract your statement? [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 03-07-2005, 09:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Anyway, I don't expect there to be a bigger Ace, but I'd like to know if I am. So many fish will just cold call with AQ or AK, and not reraise.

[/ QUOTE ]

This doesn't click with me. If, on the one hand, you think you can't clear the filed by raising because everyone coldcalls anyway, then how in the world are you to know that you're up against a bigger ace when "so many fish will just coldcall with AQ or AK?"
Old 03-07-2005, 09:35 PM

because even a lot of bad players raise with AQ or AK if no one else has raised yet.
Old 03-07-2005, 09:40 PM

No. You're assuming equal probabilities for the occurance of pocket pairs and big broadways.

Suppose someone only raises under the gun with AA, KK, or AK. I know for a fact that the odds are still 4-3 (HFAP)that they have AK and not a pocket pair when they raise, even though the total number of "ways" for each of the possibilities are equal.
Old 03-07-2005, 10:23 PM

It feels like you're mind is made up (which is fine) and you're contriving reasons to justify the decision.

[ QUOTE ]
because even a lot of bad players raise with AQ or AK if no one else has raised yet.

[/ QUOTE ]

Will these same bad players raise TT, JJ, QQ, KK, KQ, etc. if no one has raised yet? IF the answer is yes to some or all, how does limping allow you to know you're up against a bigger A? I'd suggest that if you're limping AJo, someone raises, you call, the flop comes Axx, and you fold because you know you're dominated, you're making some egregious mistakes.

[ QUOTE ]
No. You're assuming equal probabilities for the occurance of pocket pairs and big broadways.

Suppose someone only raises under the gun with AA, KK, or AK. I know for a fact that the odds are still 4-3 (HFAP)that they have AK and not a pocket pair when they raise, even though the total number of "ways" for each of the possibilities are equal.

[/ QUOTE ]

This makes no sense. It's 4:3 that he has AK because the ways to make AA, KK, and AK are:

AA=6
KK=6
AK=16

So, AK = 16 ways; and AA or KK = 12 ways; or 4:3 odds of AK.

The HPFAP example was almost certainly an example where the Hero holds neither an A or a K (don't have it in front of me - was it a QQ hand example shown just to explain the reason why calling down against such a pre-flop raiser can demonstrate that odds sometimes make the non-intuitive play the correct one?).

The statement "I know for a fact that the odds are still 4-3 (HFAP)that they have AK and not a pocket pair when they raise, even though the total number of "ways" for each of the possibilities are equal" is an example where rote memorization instead of thoughtful understanding of the underlying concept has steered you wrong. The number of "ways" to make each hand determines the odds of holding a specific hand versus another hand (or range vs range, etc.).