Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-07-2005, 04:32 PM

Default Re: Is the gap concept applicable at $30+3 and below?

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks for the response Scuba, I play with you all the time. I'm kind of shocked at your respone though. Is it your thoughts that you will get a better opportunity before the blinds give you no FE? Or do you think that even with 650 chips after the blinds you will have a better chance to steal or double up?

[/ QUOTE ]

Have you ID'd urself to me when you play?

[ QUOTE ]
I'm kind of shocked at your respone though

[/ QUOTE ]

You should be, I'm an idiot. I misread the stacks. I've tried to come up with a way to save face but I can't. I know I thought UTG had 1500 chips, and that next hand was more ideal, but that would mean that I read the blinds as a person. My apologies.

You have marginal FE against everyone in this scenario. IMO, BB will most likely open up his range of calling hands here (which I don't think is the correct play, btw - "play how you think your opponents will act, not as they should"). You have two options, push the next 2 or 3 hands in a row, or sit and hope for a better hand, or the other guys to knock each other out. The latter being the weaker play.

The only thing I really don't like about this situation, is that pushing from the button is also seen a sign of weakness (in this situation!), thus the reason why I think villain will open up his range of calling hands.

I play this hand differently every time. Without knowing much about Villain, K9s is definately a fine pushing hand, in this situation.

Now, who are you?
Old 03-07-2005, 04:54 PM

I'm FUNKYBEAT
Old 03-07-2005, 05:28 PM

Thanks for your response Phil. I agree that the gap will close. At level 5 and above there is very little limping unless there is a really big stack using a "limp as a steal". So these players are used to seeing all-in pushes or min-raises from everywhere, not just me. I try to back off of close steal situations if I've been pushing alot. However, since we are usually getting to the 4th-5th level with a stack below average we have to push more often to get even. Looking semi-maniacal may be unavoidable.

All this leads me to believe that the range of hands that we are expecting to get called with is a lot wider than we usually believe it will be. Therefore we should be stealing with a smaller range of hands.

I also think you are also giving them too much credit for their thought process. I think it's much closer to "I have a good hand (66), I call." LOL
Old 03-07-2005, 05:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I also think you are also giving them too much credit for their thought process. I think it's much closer to "I have a good hand (66), I call." LOL

[/ QUOTE ]

Or maybe they used ICM and saw that:
folding=0.1957
calling with 45% chance to win=0.205695

I'm going to call with 66 here. You should think about what YOU should be calling with, rather than only focusing on your pushes.

See this from earlier today... Calling an all-in when the EV is barely positive...
Old 03-07-2005, 07:21 PM

Thank you Phil. I read that post before you responded, thought "fold", read a couple responses that said "fold" and moved on. Rereading it now opened my eyes to a possible leak in my game. Very good advice.
Old 03-07-2005, 07:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm FUNKYBEAT

[/ QUOTE ]

You're funkybeat? Well, that explains that.

Yugoslav
Old 03-07-2005, 08:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
In the situation described, I only push with AQ, AK, 99, TT, JJ, QQ, KK, AA.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh I just close my eyes and hope, any two over two is my range [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img], I didn't even know 2+2ers had requirements for stealing. lol

Mack