Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-07-2005, 03:40 PM

Default does this happen to everyone or am i a freak?

Newbie here, just finished my first 1000 hands at PP .50/1, hope this isn't too stupid of a question but I gotta ask...

Being a beginner, I normally play at SLAA (23% or so - trying to tighten my VP$IP is my main focus right now). The last 3 sessions have been nightmarish, not in the play that occurred, but the cards I had to work with. In rewiewing my sessions w/ PT, in three 100+ hand sessions my VP$IP has been 8-11%, because of the amazingly bad cards I've had to work with (god what a whiner i look like here...).

In these last four consective sessions, the best hands i have had were pocket 5s, A7s, K 10o - making it very difficult to even enter the hand (following SSHE religiously at this point). Virtually all my play has been off forced blinds or less than best (but playable according to SSHE) hands. As Ive watched this happen the last three times my biggest challenge has been quitting playing before I go on total tilt and start playing $@#! hands...(have gone from +10 BB at 800 hands to -3 at approx 1100 hands)

My better sense tells me that it is just how the cards fell, that it will come around in the end (after 10K hands or so), to keep playing the way I have learned and am learning, that I have not necessarily angered my higher power...etc. Or - is there such a thing as people who consistently are dealt better or worse hands than others (like some kind of statistical oddity)?

Stupid topic probably...I had to ask...any feedback?
Old 03-07-2005, 03:45 PM

Default Re: does this happen to everyone or am i a freak?

Patience, my boy.
Old 03-07-2005, 03:47 PM

I've had 100+ hand sessions where my VPIP was 0%. [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]

I guess that is why they call it a grind.

Brad
Old 03-07-2005, 03:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I've had 100+ hand sessions where my VPIP was 0%. [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]

Brad

[/ QUOTE ]

Technically, shouldn't you have many 221 hand sessions where your VPIP is 0%? Law of averages, right?

Rob
Old 03-07-2005, 03:49 PM

***STAMP***
Old 03-07-2005, 03:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Brad

[/ QUOTE ]

Technically, shouldn't you have many 221 hand sessions where your VPIP is 0%? Law of averages, right?

Rob

[/ QUOTE ]

In a 221 hand session I will fail to play a hand e^-1 = ~37% of the time. When the OP says his VPIP for some sessions is 8-10% he must really be a luck box. I never get aces that much. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Brad
Old 03-07-2005, 03:51 PM

Hang in there. You've done well so far, but a 200 hand bad streak is nothing. I've had bad streaks of 1000 hands or more (and they can go much longer than that). In the long run, everyone receives hands of approximately the same strength. With patience, you will receive your due.

I started off a lot like you. sLAG, 23-25% VPIP. Fortunately, I started on a good streak and so it didn't hurt me. But when I did hit a bad streak, what kept me off tilt was too focus on my falling VPIP in the poker tracker window. Every time it fell a little bit I would pat myself on the back for playing tight.
Old 03-07-2005, 03:55 PM

This happens and usually these are the sessions where you can lose substantially if you start getting frustrated and playing very borderline cards like KTo out of position and then getting raised/reraised. Keep watching for opportunities against the (hopefully plentiful) bad players at your table and stick to your plan.
Old 03-07-2005, 03:59 PM

It will swing around. Before you know it, you'll be fat & happy feasting on session after session at VPIP 35% becasue you keep getting dealt premium hand after premium hand.
Old 03-07-2005, 05:05 PM

Try mutlitabling. You will hardly notice when this happens. It should help a great deal with you discipline.