Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-05-2005, 11:33 PM

Default Re: Ed Miller is a Failure as a Poker Pro

This thread is Blasphemy!

I hold Ed in the same regard as Lenin, Hitler, Stalin, Nixon, and other Nietschean Supermen.

He is infallible.
Old 03-05-2005, 11:47 PM

So, gunner, I guess you failed at sacking groceries at age 16 because you moved on to a better job later? Or you failed high school because you went to college?

I don't know much about the guy, but I gather he played low limit for a few years, figured it out, met some helpful people,and wrote part of a very successful book. I'd say he got more out of poker than most people. Being successful at something doesn't meanyou never move on.

I'm puzzled, though, why does playing online make him want to puke?
Old 03-06-2005, 01:00 AM

i don't know about ed, but i find online play quite dull...if i could make as much at BM as i do online with the same bankroll then i would never play online....
Old 03-06-2005, 01:22 AM

I believe Ed has pretty much said the same thing...that online play was just kinda boring to him.

Personally...I get pretty bored at the B&M.
30 whole whopping hands an hour...sitting next to some big, old sweaty guy on my left and some drunken, idiot red-neck on my right. Fun!!!

I have enjoyed some B&M sessions....but other times have just been lengthy semi tortures.

Obviously many people feel that sitting at home clicking buttons all day is about as pathetic as it gets. I'm okay with it (getting to make money while watching the game on TV, etc)...and sometimes play outside my domicile (nice-day outside....or down at the internet-coffee place).

To each their own.
Old 03-06-2005, 09:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Just because one isn't satisfied with the income amount doesn't mean they failed in any way.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 03-06-2005, 09:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
and some drunken, idiot red-neck on my right. Fun!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

At least he's in the right seat!
Old 03-07-2005, 05:06 AM

Failure is a bit too harsh. Ed has the playing ability to make a living at the game. He simply doesn't have (by admission) some other qualities which include the desire to put in hours and handling the financial stress (I'm reading into his comments a bit there).

However, he took his playing ability and branched it off to make a living (hopefully) in the poker world without playing a full schedule.

I don't remember seeing that original thread. That's why I didn't respond in it.
Old 03-07-2005, 09:03 AM

Lenny Martin he's not, but I'd trust Ed to do ok if he _wanted_ to go the poker pro route [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I guess I'm a failure as botanist. And astronaut. And come to think of it, as a poker pro.
Old 03-07-2005, 09:10 AM

Default A passage from SSH comes to mind

When I read Ed's statement the passage on p251 in SSH about image imidiatly came to mind. Espesially the third bullet and the words "Poker is a terrible game for those who compete primarily to earn the respect of their peers.".

Teaching or writing books on the other hand are both excellet ways to earn respect or even admiration.
[img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

/Bjorn
Old 03-07-2005, 01:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Personally...I get pretty bored at the B&M.
30 whole whopping hands an hour...sitting next to some big, old sweaty guy on my left and some drunken, idiot red-neck on my right. Fun!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

I completely agree with this assessment. There have been relatively few B&M sessions that I have truly "enjoyed". At least when I play online, I know exactly what the experience will be... I can more tables or less tables, switch them at a moment's notice, take breaks and come back whenever I want, turn chat on or off.