Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-07-2005, 11:43 AM

Default Re: Having to leave your computer when Multi-tabling

Similar story:

Wife was coming back from NYC via train, and told me she would be arriving at station at 11pm, so I should plan to pick her up around then.

At 9:45, I decide I have enough time to play a $10 SNG, so I fire up the machine and get playing. Level 4 comes around, I am chip leader with 5 players left, and the phone rings. "Hi, it's me! I screwed up the time, and we are almost in the station."

Ugh.

So I click "post blind and fold" and SPRINT downstairs to the car, scream to the train station, pick her up, and drive back like Mario Andretti. (AWD turbo 4 life!)

Anyway, sprint upstairs, run to machine, to see I am now in the money, and miraculously, 2nd chip position.

Unclick the button, and raise after finding QKs in the BB. They both go "you're back!" and we have a laugh...

I ended up beating them both. w00t!

There is a lesson here. What is it?
Old 03-07-2005, 12:01 PM

Perhaps some of the math whizzes could develop a simple little formula to measure "wife and baby interrupt adjusted ROI". In order to be accurate, of course, it should account for the "I need to make this loose call/push because if I dont either cash quickly or bust out I am dead" syndrome.
Old 03-07-2005, 12:12 PM

You stopped thinking about odds.

odds the forms were misplaced......99%
odds someone stole them........< the remaining 1%
odds you could do anything useful about it in the time you would have taken to complete the games.....

................and maybe this just explains why I'm single

hyde
Old 03-07-2005, 12:20 PM

Haha thats a good one. Either way, it was +EV to go help her. And she still thinks that her engagement ring is coming from Poker money. So much for a plasma TV [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 03-07-2005, 12:36 PM

Odds you may have overlooked since you're single...

1. Odds she's gonna go hysterical, call the police, mother, sister, etc. to come over and declare a national emergency.

2. Odds she spends the next three hours looking for the paperwork, finally finds it, with you not around helping and you end up sleeping elsewhere

3. Odds your sitting on the paperwork but can't currently feel the paper wrinkle everytime you move...this is an important one, because if you are sitting on it, and she finds out, well, I hope you like self play.

4. Odds she unplugs your computer for not coming in the first place.

1. 97.5%
2. 99%
3. 78%
4. 99%

Now, I realize to a single person these numbers don't add up. But they do, really, they do...just ask her.
Old 03-07-2005, 12:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
my results from the 4 tables... 5,1,1,1. Guess I play well under pressure, lol. These results made my goal for the week [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img].

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude that rules... I can't even get myself to play 2 tables yet, and I still panic every time I have to pee.
Old 03-07-2005, 12:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Last night ny DSL connection went down while I had 2 10+1's going.

[/ QUOTE ]

I hate that. Yesterday my cable went down after I had signed up for Prima's WSOP Level 4 sit 'n go ($100+10). It came back up right before the game started... whew!
Old 03-07-2005, 01:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
All of a sudden, I hear a strange noise over the baby monitor, followed by some crying. Tina runs up stairs. She says "Demian, if you can hear me, I need help."

[/ QUOTE ]

And I thought you were all single college guys with no attachments and that I was the only one that dreaded the baby monitor.

In fact just last Friday my 1-year-old got very sick after dinner. For those of you that haven't had the pleasure, watching a baby puke is a very scary and very sad thing. He'd also fallen and hit his head pretty good earlier that day, so head injury + puking = bad thing. To make a long story short, I ended up taking him to the hospital.

I have to admit that I felt a little guilty when once they told me that he was going to be fine and could go home (just a stomach bug), I looked at the clock to see if I would be able to get any juicy weekend playing in by the time I got home. Alas, it was already 2am, so I was done for the night since I had an early morning (when you have kids, every morning is an early morning).
Old 03-07-2005, 01:56 PM

Aww crap - I just got engaged, and I gotta say, this thread is not exactly the uplifting stuff I usually read on 2+2. come on, there's gotta be something to look forward to besides wives freaking out and baby puke, right? (and yes, i already know that just like my SNG ROI for Feb, my future ROI for sexual advances towards my lady will also be dropping).

ts-
Old 03-07-2005, 01:59 PM

You pee??? There's your problem [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]