Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-07-2005, 03:36 AM

Default Re: Explanations Now Allowed

[ QUOTE ]
If the trick to this question is really in reading the line about being a multibillionaire, we might as well just start getting questions that include information like "hot chicks who like math whizzes are willing to sleep with you if you finish the match within twenty minutes."

-Michael

[/ QUOTE ]

Lol. Let's just take it further. If you're a multi-billionaire and you don't care about the money then you either inherited it or you're highly competitive. I think the number of competitive billionaire's probably outnumbers the inheritance based ones so I think we maximize our chances and go with B even if we don't care about the money.

I'm only contributing to this silly tangent because a) the true reasoning should be clear already and b) I'm waiting for the damn Heads Up Championship to end and need something to do . . .
Old 03-07-2005, 03:37 AM

Default Re: Hypothetical Head Up Tournament Brain Teaser

assuming B is correct and you were to play No Hands at what point does playing AA become correct?

by this i mean say you continue to fold because you're not satisfied with your edge. and now all of a sudden he has a 2-1 chip lead. should you now play the aces? if not, at what point should you?
Old 03-07-2005, 03:38 AM

Well, here's my rationale on why I would call with the aces. Chances are, you could wait around for the rest of the tournament and NOT get a better situation than with AA vs. 72. Also, as stated before, you are already a multi-billionaire, so chances are you really wouldn't care if this isn't a big enough win percentage to make the call profitable. Just my 2 cents though.
Old 03-07-2005, 03:39 AM

You will almost certainly get a better shot than 88%, within the next few hundred hands.

Oh yeah, and the problem states we aren't *worried* about the money, not that we don't care. If we truly didn't care then why are we even playing?

i'm sad that someone got to it before me, but i say that sklansky pulled a fast one and threw out a psychological question, and all you bums went off with the math and yada yada... whatev.

the key line is where he says "you don't care about the money". yep, thats it. so the answer is obviously A. the money doesnt mean a thing to you, so you go ahead and call anytime you have a mathematical edge.

tada.
Old 03-07-2005, 03:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
and now all of a sudden he has a 2-1 chip lead. should you now play the aces? if not, at what point should you?

[/ QUOTE ]

all of a sudden?

dude it'd be like a year down the road till you blinded off that much money at 1/2
Old 03-07-2005, 03:40 AM

Based on the conditions you statd, I'd call with all of the hands - without a doubt.

*****Although my answer would be different if the money meant something to me.********
Old 03-07-2005, 03:41 AM

Default FOR THOSE OF YOU THAT CHOSE B

Why on EARTH would you fold ACES? I would call with ACES EVERY SINGLE TIME!!! If you fold the Aces here, when the heck are you going to call? If all you sissies keep folding thinking about ev this ev that the fish is going to take your billion $1 and $2 at a time!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Heck, I would call with 66 and AK too. The 94o would have to hit the muck.

im going with F. F for FUJI
Old 03-07-2005, 03:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You can wait for an even better advantage than AA vs. 72, even if it's 72o and you have matching suits. Over 18:1 is possible, and with the blinds microscopically small relative to the stacks you can wait out the many hands for such an edge, even if it takes tens of thousands.

That said, if it is 72o then I'd probably take a flyer and call with AA at half of the optimal odds, hence my answer of "theortically B, realistally C".

[/ QUOTE ]

Almost said only 92-8 possible, but 94.8-5.2 seems best, or almost 19-1, which is KK vs K2 or similar.