Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-06-2005, 10:18 PM

Default Am I REALLY value betting here?

Opponent is rock preflop, calling station postflop.

PokerStars 1/2 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>, CO calls.

Flop: (9.50 SB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, CO calls.

Turn: (5.75 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

River: (7.75 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

Final Pot: 9.75 BB

Hope he has the other JJ.
Old 03-06-2005, 10:27 PM

Default Re: Am I REALLY value betting here?

That isnt looking too good to me. What do you think are the standards for the rock 3betting? My guess is that this guy is going to show you KK or QQ alot of the times here because he got scared by the ace and doesnt want to raise but he feels his hand is too good to fold. You will not move him off of this hand so you must be assuming that you have the better hand the whole way to be betting. This is not a value betting situation here. Because he is a rock I am calling the 3bet preflop and then I think I am check/folding on the flop. If he checks through on the flop I would bet the turn and river but only then.
Old 03-06-2005, 10:41 PM

I never seem to follow through with any of my reads. Unless it's a LAG, I rarely adjust my play.

I really think I played this poorly and chip spewed in a situation in which the hand was made easy to read.
Old 03-06-2005, 10:49 PM

Just think about what hands he'd 3-bet preflop and what hands you beat. I can't think of any with the exception of the unlikely TT. Check/fold the flop
Old 03-06-2005, 11:26 PM

Really tough to fold this hand, id want to see it right down to the end, but hard to see you winning vs a rock. Tough spot, id play the same, maybe check/call the river you may save yourself a bet against this guy who will prob take a cheap showdown too.
Old 03-06-2005, 11:50 PM

I agree with Loafer. What can you beat? Assuming he has reasonably tight preflop raising standards, the only hands you can beat are KQs (unlikely he'd three bet)or 99. He's probably calling you down with Kings or Queens because he's scared of the ace.

On a related note, is it worth making a continuation bet in a situation like this where you invest a lot preflop and there's an unfavorable flop? My personal belief is that at the lower limits it's not since the players aren't as talented and won't give you credit for made hands. Plus, once you fire the first bullet, it's tempting to keep firing. Thoughts?
Old 03-06-2005, 11:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Just think about what hands he'd 3-bet preflop and what hands you beat. I can't think of any with the exception of the unlikely TT. Check/fold the flop

[/ QUOTE ]

And a T hit on the turn too... definite fold now :P
Old 03-07-2005, 12:26 AM

As mentioned, if your opponent plays as tight as you believe PF, then you should likely be able to put him on a hand such as AK or a higher pocket pair - possibly JJ, but doubtful since you hold 2 already.

Knowing that, you are most likely behind and probably seriously behind on the flop. It's probably best to check/fold the flop, but I would probably check/call the flop and likely fold on the turn UI.
Old 03-07-2005, 01:04 AM

Call the PF 3-bet.
Check/call flop.
Check/call turn.
Bet river.
Old 03-07-2005, 02:34 AM

What exactly does this line accomplish?

Does the plan on the flop and turn change if the river isn't an ace? And if it doesn't change, what do I do on the river if a deuce comes?