Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-06-2005, 06:35 PM

Default How much is enough?

Context: Villain (LAG) is 60/30/2 over a very small sample. Earlier in the session, I openraised with 88 from MP, he called in the CO with Ad2 and made the nut flush with 4 diamonds on the board. Now I want revenge.

BB is extremely poor - loose preflop, loose postflop, and very, very passive. Not a concern.

Interesting side note: converter showed BB as an UTG poster..?

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP2 (LAG) calls, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, BB (Muppet) calls.

AK good! Me raise!

Villain made a horrible coldcall against me earlier and lucked out, therefore he obviously has my number so he calls. BB comes along.

Flop: (6.33 SB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Muppet checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">LAG raises</font>, Muppet calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">LAG caps</font>, Muppet folds, Hero calls.

LAG's raise doesn't bother me greatly. Probably just means he's caught some part of the board. I 3-bet hoping he'll cap and knock out Muppet (well, I would have 3-bet regardless of Muppet's presence, but losing him here would be a nice side benefit). LAG obliges.

Turn: (8.16 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">LAG raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">LAG caps</font>, Hero calls.

Top two good! However, I'm a little apprehensive when he shows absolutely no sign of slowing down in the face of my aggression. Surely my hand is fairly transparent at this point? I know he's aggressive, but would he really go this crazy with A4 when basically my entire range of hands has it crushed?

AA-QQ would surely have been 3-bet preflop unless he fancies himself as a trickster, and I can't see him pulling moves like this on the flop with KK. I suspect he would have 3-bet AQ also. He is dumb enough to coldcall with JT, but whether he'd be maniacal enough to cap the flop with it I can't say (maybe JTs with a backdoor flush draw?). A nagging voice in my head tells me he would merrily have coldcalled preflop with 44...

Did I push a bit too hard here? At what point (if at all) are you going to consider the possibility that you are behind?

River: (16.16 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks...
Old 03-06-2005, 09:42 PM

Default Re: How much is enough?

I would personally slow down after the turn raise and call instead of 3-betting...

Although vs. a LAG/maniac I think it's not too much of a big mistake to 3-bet it...

Good river check/call
Old 03-06-2005, 09:50 PM

Honestly...?

When he caps the turn.

That looks like a very painful hand.
Old 03-06-2005, 09:53 PM

Check-raise the turn. If he 3-bets, just call down.
Old 03-06-2005, 10:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Check-raise the turn. If he 3-bets, just call down.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmm. Continued aggression on the turn is enough to give a LAG credit for a set? I'm not disagreeing, just trying to clarify the point at which you put the brakes on.

Perhaps I was a little over-enthusiastic. I just couldn't help but think that there is only one hand that Villain could conceivably hold that beats me.

River: (16.16 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">LAG bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises...</font>

I'm guessing with this board and prior action, now is not the time to checkraise and call a 3-bet?